Brazilian travelers will soon be able to use Global Entry
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Brazilian government has announced plans to launch a long-awaited Global Entry program, which gives expedited clearance to low-risk, pre-approved Brazilian travelers visiting the U.S.
According to reports in Reuters, the office of the chief of staff for Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro announced that a Global Entry pilot program will start soon with 20 Brazilian executives testing the system’s functionality. Global Entry is administered by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
The addition of Brazil to the trusted-traveler program is exciting news to Brazilian business people, who have been working for Brazil’s admission to the program since 2012. Currently, trusted travelers from Argentina, India, Colombia, Great Britain, Germany, Panama, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan and Mexico are eligible for Global Entry.
Since 2017, nearly two million Brazilian visitors have traveled to the U.S., spending an estimated $7 billion-plus annually, according to the U.S. Travel Association. That number is expected to grow now that travelers will be eligible for streamlined entry.
This news follows a change in visa requirements for U.S. visitors to Brazil. Prior to June 2019, U.S. travelers had to obtain a visa in order to visit the South American country. The process was both long and pricey.
Brazil is a great place for a mileage run with plenty of places to explore outside of the big cities of Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo. A few airlines, such as GOL Transportes Aéreos and Azul Brazilian Airlines, offer an airpass that can significantly reduce the cost of getting around Brazil and neighboring countries.
Featured photo by PAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees