It’s Official: Boeing Will Get $3.9 Billion to Build New Air Force One
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The White House confirmed Wednesday that plane builder Boeing will be getting $3.9 billion to build two new Air Force One aircraft for use by future US presidents.
White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders confirmed on Wednesday that the contract had been signed. “Yesterday, the United States Air Force awarded a firm fixed price contract to The Boeing Company to design, modify, test, certify and deliver two Presidential, mission-ready aircraft by 2024,” Sanders said in a statement.
The two new Boeing 747-8 aircraft will replace the current two Air Force One planes, which were ordered by Ronald Reagan and are now about 30 years old. The replacement effort for the new presidential planes began in 2011.
In December 2016, however, then President-Elect Donald Trump called the order into question, when he tweeted the costs for the two aircraft were too high.
Boeing is building a brand new 747 Air Force One for future presidents, but costs are out of control, more than $4 billion. Cancel order!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 6, 2016
The price for the new Air Force One order was then negotiated down to the current $3.9 billion. In her statement, Sanders says the order will save “the taxpayers over $1.4 billion from the initially proposed $5.3 billion-plus contract.”
Trump has also said he wants to change more than just the price of the planes. He says the new jets will have a completely redesigned livery than the current two-tone shades of light blue. Trump wants a red, white and blue color scheme, which he says is “more American.”
“It’s going to be the top of the line, the top in the world,” Trump told CBS. “And it’s going be red, white and blue, which I think is appropriate.”
The current color scheme has been in place since the first modern Air Force One aircraft were ordered in the 1960s by the Kennedy Administration, and it was designed in part by both President John F. Kennedy and First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy.
Featured image by Raymond Boyd/Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees