This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The inaugural TPG Awards ceremony was this week in NYC, and what an event it was. From touching tributes to Nobel Laureate Leymah Gbowee and Captain Sully to recognitions of the very best in loyalty programs and rewards credit cards (not to mention a performance by Bebe Rexha), it was a full-fledged celebration of all things travel.
The winners for each category were announced at the awards show, and the full list is now available online. Arguably the most-anticipated award of the night was Best Premium Credit Card of the Year, defined as a card with a $300+ annual fee. The Chase Sapphire Reserve took the prize in this category, beating out two other finalists.
The CSR’s win isn’t a huge shock, especially considering that its debut back in 2016 was accompanied by fanfare both within and beyond the award travel space. Its 3x earning rate on travel (excluding $300 travel credit) and dining makes it a staple for many, while its annual $300 travel credit, Global Entry/TSA PreCheck application fee credit and Priority Pass membership add even more value.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve garnered the most votes, and here are how the other two finalists ranked (in descending order):
The Amex Platinum is another strong pick, with a mile-long list of benefits including Centurion Lounge access and up to $200 in annual Uber credits to balance out its $550 annual fee (See Rates & Fees), and the Citi Prestige remains popular thanks to its 4th Night Free perk and $250 airline fee credit, though note that changes are in store on both of those fronts when the card reopens for applications in early 2019.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, please click here.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees