This is the Best Premium Credit Card According to TPG Readers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The inaugural TPG Awards ceremony was this week in NYC, and what an event it was. From touching tributes to Nobel Laureate Leymah Gbowee and Captain Sully to recognitions of the very best in loyalty programs and rewards credit cards (not to mention a performance by Bebe Rexha), it was a full-fledged celebration of all things travel.
The winners for each category were announced at the awards show, and the full list is now available online. Arguably the most-anticipated award of the night was Best Premium Credit Card of the Year, defined as a card with a $300+ annual fee. The Chase Sapphire Reserve took the prize in this category, beating out two other finalists.
The CSR’s win isn’t a huge shock, especially considering that its debut back in 2016 was accompanied by fanfare both within and beyond the award travel space. Its 3x earning rate on travel (excluding $300 travel credit) and dining makes it a staple for many, while its annual $300 travel credit, Global Entry/TSA PreCheck application fee credit and Priority Pass membership add even more value.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve garnered the most votes, and here are how the other two finalists ranked (in descending order):
The Amex Platinum is another strong pick, with a mile-long list of benefits including Centurion Lounge access and up to $200 in annual Uber credits to balance out its $550 annual fee (See Rates & Fees), and the Citi Prestige remains popular thanks to its 4th Night Free perk and $250 airline fee credit, though note that changes are in store on both of those fronts when the card reopens for applications in early 2019.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, please click here.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.