This is the Best Mid-Tier Credit Card According to TPG Readers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The inaugural TPG Awards ceremony was this week in NYC, with everything from a live performance by Bebe Rexha to a special tribute to Captain Sully — in addition to awards for the best cards, loyalty programs and more, of course.
While the full list of TPG Awards winners is out, we wanted to give you a closer look at the nominees in each category. Remember, the winners in all categories except the best airline cabins were chosen by readers.
Let’s take a look at the Best Mid-Tier Card of the Year category, which includes cards with annual fees up to $300. The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card landed the most votes, likely due to perks like 2x points on all travel and dining. If you’re not ready to commit to the $550 annual fee of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which won Best Premium Card of the Year, this card’s a great way to get your feet wet with Chase Ultimate Rewards points — one of the most valuable loyalty currencies.
While the CSP got the most votes, here’s how the other finalists stacked up, in descending order:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- American Express® Gold Card
- Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card
- Citi Premier Card
- Alaska Airlines Visa Signature credit card
Overall, an interesting mix of transferable points cards and those that earn rewards with a specific airline or hotel loyalty program.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.