British Airways to suspend Gatwick operations during lockdown
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With England now officially in its second national lockdown, the nation’s flag carrier is taking action to cut costs amid the anticipated downturn in travel.
“Following the government’s announcement of a new national lockdown for England last Saturday, we have been urgently reviewing our schedule for November,” the airline said in a statement. “Our focus is on keeping crucial air links open — bringing home the thousands of customers currently abroad, transporting vital goods and ensuring people who are permitted to travel in and out of the U.K. for work, education and other reasons stipulated by the U.K. government, can continue to do so.”
For the duration of the lockdown, which is set to run from Nov. 5 until Dec. 2, the government has banned all travel — both international and domestic. However, those traveling for essential reasons, such as for work, education or other “legally permitted” reasons, are still permitted to do so.
Thursday’s announcement isn’t the first time BA has dropped Gatwick since the start of the pandemic. In March, British Airways suspended operations to London’s second-largest airport amid the first national lockdown.
The airline said that it’s contacting passengers whose flights have been canceled. If you have a trip booked with British Airways, it could be worth checking your options at this point. The airline isn’t refunding passengers for non-canceled flights — for example, if the passenger no longer can travel because of the lockdown. However, if that applies to you, you are entitled to cancel the flight and get the cost of the flight back in the form of a Future Travel Voucher, which you can use on a future flight.
According to Sky News, British Airways is also planning to furlough “many more” of its staff as a result of the second lockdown.
In a “blow to [its] hopes for the winter season,” the carrier said that it will move more employees from both operations and support functions to the government’s Job Retention Scheme, which has been extended through the end of March 2021.
In the first nine months of 2020, British Airways’ owner International Airlines Group (IAG) suffered a $2 billion loss.
Featured photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees