This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the most fascinating flights across the Atlantic is British Airways’ all-business class Airbus A318, which flies between New York’s Kennedy (JFK) and London’s closest airport: London City (LCY). With just 32 business class seats on-board, the flight is truly unlike any other British Airways flight.
And, if you want to check this flight off your AvGeek bucket list, now’s a great time to book: British Airways Flight 1 from London City (LCY) to New York Kennedy (JFK) currently has wide-open award availability. For most dates that I’m searching from July through early August, and September through (at least) November, there’s minimum one seat available each day:
For searching purposes, note that this flight doesn’t operate on Saturdays and it isn’t available from August 4-27 or November 17-24.
You can book this flight for 57,500 AAdvantage miles or 60,000 British Airways Avios one-way during peak dates (50,000 off-peak). Beware fuel surcharges on this BA-operated flight can run around $400-500 each way. To save both mileage and out-of-pocket cost, Asia Miles is the best way of booking the nonstop.
If you’ve got Avios burning a hole in your pocket, I’ve also found that a way of saving out-of-pocket cost — although a slightly-higher mileage cost — is to originate in another city and fly through London City. For example, you’ll save $100 but pay 9,000 more Avios during peak dates by flying from Berlin (TXL) through London City (LCY) to catch flight 1. Off-peak savings aren’t as much: save $30 and pay 7,750 more Avios.
H/T: God Save the Points
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards