Starting Dec. 14, a visit to Aspen will require a COVID test or quarantine
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ski mecca Aspen is in Pitkin County, Colorado which has seen a rise in rolling 14-day COVID-19 cases from four in August to 182 currently. Starting tomorrow December 14, all travelers ages 10 and over who will spend one or more nights in the county will have to complete an online travel affidavit prior to arrival.
The traveler affidavit requires a negative COVID-19 test that has been administered within 72 hours prior to your arrival in Pitkin County. You must be symptom-free for 10 days before travel and if you have not completed a test, you must quarantine for 10 days upon arrival.
There is a list of people exempt from the affidavit including people who commute to work or school regularly from outside of the county, workers providing critical infrastructure services, patients seeking medical treatment and military personnel.
Failure to complete the required affidavit or failure to comply with a required quarantine may result in a $5,000 fine. There isn’t information on how the affidavit will be enforced, but there is a COVID-19 complaint form for the county where fellow citizens and visitors can report you.
The traveler affidavit does collect your itinerary information including your flight number if arriving at the airport, dates of travel and lodging location. I suppose the Department of Health could do spot checks to see if you have COVID-19 test results or if you select you are quarantining, that you are in fact at the place of quarantine. I certainly wouldn’t test noncompliance at the risk of losing $5,000.
As the winter surge continues with COVID-19 cases, we’re likely to see more and more travel restrictions and traveler screening. With some Americans set to receive the first doses of the vaccine this week, 2021 can’t come fast enough.
Featured image courtesy Marriott.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.