This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers traveling through Marine Air Terminal (Terminal A) at New York’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) can get a personalized story sent to their phone upon landing.
Landing Pages, the first project from ArtPort Residency — a new program of the Queens Council on the Arts — allows passengers to stop by and have a story created for them. The story will be sent to their phone before they land at their destination.
ArtPort Residency, in partnership with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, hosts a new set of artists every three months at LaGuardia. The current artists in charge of Landing Pages are Lexie Smith and Gideon Jacobs. When passengers arrive at the Landing Pages, they grab a ticket and fill out the necessary information including flight number and contact information.
When passengers land at their destination and turn on their phone, a new story from Landing Pages will be in their text messages or email. Many of the stories revolve around a fictional narrative and, unsurprisingly, many of them are travel-related stories. Stories, though, can be poems or illustrations; there are no strict guidelines except for the word count, which is determined by the duration of the flight, since they all need to be completed before the passenger lands.
A story for a Delta passenger describes a woman sitting on a porch watching planes fly by. Another story for an Alaska Airlines passenger follows a child’s adventure on the first day of spring.
“Every trip on an airplane embodies a traditional form of storytelling,” Smith told Hyperallergic. “It has a beginning, middle, and end at landing. Airline travel is stressful, hurried, and rarely are the surprises welcome ones.”
Smith and Jacobs hope that their efforts at Landing Pages will ease passenger woes just a little.
Read their archived stories here.
Image by myLoupe/Universal Images Group via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards