Artists at LaGuardia Are Delivering Personalized Short Stories to Passengers’ Phones
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers traveling through Marine Air Terminal (Terminal A) at New York’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) can get a personalized story sent to their phone upon landing.
Landing Pages, the first project from ArtPort Residency — a new program of the Queens Council on the Arts — allows passengers to stop by and have a story created for them. The story will be sent to their phone before they land at their destination.
ArtPort Residency, in partnership with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, hosts a new set of artists every three months at LaGuardia. The current artists in charge of Landing Pages are Lexie Smith and Gideon Jacobs. When passengers arrive at the Landing Pages, they grab a ticket and fill out the necessary information including flight number and contact information.
When passengers land at their destination and turn on their phone, a new story from Landing Pages will be in their text messages or email. Many of the stories revolve around a fictional narrative and, unsurprisingly, many of them are travel-related stories. Stories, though, can be poems or illustrations; there are no strict guidelines except for the word count, which is determined by the duration of the flight, since they all need to be completed before the passenger lands.
A story for a Delta passenger describes a woman sitting on a porch watching planes fly by. Another story for an Alaska Airlines passenger follows a child’s adventure on the first day of spring.
“Every trip on an airplane embodies a traditional form of storytelling,” Smith told Hyperallergic. “It has a beginning, middle, and end at landing. Airline travel is stressful, hurried, and rarely are the surprises welcome ones.”
Smith and Jacobs hope that their efforts at Landing Pages will ease passenger woes just a little.
Read their archived stories here.
Image by myLoupe/Universal Images Group via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees