Deal alert: Book a private room on Amtrak from $193 for you and a friend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A couple of years back, I rode on Amtrak’s Empire Builder from Portland, Oregon, to Chicago, Illinois. I was able to do so for a great price thanks to a buy one, get one sale on roomette sleeper-car accommodation. Luckily, you can take advantage of the same deal during Amtrak’s current sale. To book these low fares, book your roomette by April 16, 2021 and travel between June 1 and Sept. 30, 2021.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
During this limited-time sale, you can book a private Amtrak roomette and bring a companion for free. When you book a roomette, you get a private space with seats to enjoy the views during the day. At night, the seats turn into a bed and a second bed folds down to create a private, secure sleeping space. Plus, roomette travelers also get the following:
- Fresh towels and linens
- Access to a shared restroom and shower
- An attendant who will provide turndown service, assistance with meals and help with luggage
- Complimentary lounge access at major stations
- Priority boarding
- Complimentary meals onboard
During this promotion, two can travel together in a roomette for as low as $193 between Chicago and St. Paul-Minneapolis. The only blackout date is July 5, 2021.
Many other itineraries are possible. Private rooms are available on the following Amtrak routes:
- Auto Train
- California Zephyr
- Capitol Limited
- City of New Orleans
- Coast Starlight
- Empire Builder
- Lake Shore Limited
- Northeast Regional
- Silver Star
- Silver Meteor
- Southwest Chief
- Sunset Limited
- Texas Eagle
Booking the deal
To book at discounted rates during this sale, go to amtrak.com/privateroomsale or enter code C645 when booking a trip on the Amtrak app. The paying adult and free companion must travel in the same room and reserve in the same reservation. This offer is only valid for roomettes and isn’t combinable with any other discount offer.
Unfortunately, there’s no easy way to search for the best price if you have flexible dates or routes. Instead, you’ll need to try a lot of searches. However, if you are flexible with your travel dates, I’ve typically found the best pricing in September. For example, here’s a day-time itinerary on September 29 that would cost $193 for two passengers in a roomette from St. Paul-Minneapolis, MN to Chicago, IL.
But, I believe you need to spend at least one night on the train to get the complete experience. So, here’s an example from Lorton to Sanford on the Auto Train:
Or, if you wanted to do the Empire Builder from Portland, Oregon to Chicago, Illinois like I did, here’s an example itinerary that would cost just $529 for two passengers in a roomette.
I’d certainly pay $529 to travel with a friend in a roomette along this route. After all, the 45-hour journey gives you enough time to settle into train life, but not enough time for you to tire of it.
Be sure to book your train fare with one of the best cards for train travel. I’d use the Chase Sapphire Reserve since it offers excellent travel protections on top of 3x Ultimate Rewards points on travel purchases. If you don’t have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, I recommend using one of the other best cards for travel purchases.
The Amtrak roomette my husband and I traveled in on the Empire Builder from Portland to Chicago was tight. But, we loved having our own space and a door we could lock while sleeping. And I enjoyed looking out the window at the passing scenery and towns. It’s certainly an experience I’m glad I jumped on. So, as long as whoever sleeps in the upper bunk is agile enough to get into the bunk and isn’t nervous about tight spaces, I highly recommend booking a private room during this sale.
Featured image by Katie Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees