Amtrak’s now allowing pets on weekday Acela trains
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Great news for pet owners looking to bring their four-legged companion along for a ride on Amtrak’s “fancy train,” Acela.
Effective immediately, Amtrak will allow dogs and cats up to 20 pounds to join their human on weekday business-class Acela trains, in addition to weekend travel, which was already allowed.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Amtrak charges an additional $26 (or 800 points) to add a pet, and they must stay in their carrier for the entire trip — ideally under the seat in front. Additionally, pet owners must sign a “Pet Release and Indemnification Agreement” before each segment.
Fortunately, the change is already live — you can bring a pet on Acela as soon as today if you’d like. Notably, pets are not allowed in first-class cars, so it won’t be possible to book Acela first class or lock in an upgrade if you’re traveling with your furry friend. Cafe cars also remain a pet-free zone — on Acela, you’ll be limited to a business-class car if you’re traveling with a pet.
According to Amtrak, more than 174,000 pets have joined their humans onboard trains since the program began in October 2015, generating more than $4 million in revenue from related fees.
Note that only eight spaces will be available per departure, so if you’re anticipating needing to travel with your pet, you may want to lock in your trip a bit earlier than usual.
Related: Bullet trains coming to America?
If you’re looking to book an Amtrak trip — with or without an up-to-20-pound companion — be sure to check out our guide to “the best credit cards to use for train travel” to help maximize your return.
Learn more about Acela:
Featured photo courtesy of Amtrak.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.