Amtrak’s now allowing pets on weekday Acela trains
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Great news for pet owners looking to bring their four-legged companion along for a ride on Amtrak’s “fancy train,” Acela.
Effective immediately, Amtrak will allow dogs and cats up to 20 pounds to join their human on weekday business-class Acela trains, in addition to weekend travel, which was already allowed.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Amtrak charges an additional $26 (or 800 points) to add a pet, and they must stay in their carrier for the entire trip — ideally under the seat in front. Additionally, pet owners must sign a “Pet Release and Indemnification Agreement” before each segment.
Fortunately, the change is already live — you can bring a pet on Acela as soon as today if you’d like. Notably, pets are not allowed in first-class cars, so it won’t be possible to book Acela first class or lock in an upgrade if you’re traveling with your furry friend. Cafe cars also remain a pet-free zone — on Acela, you’ll be limited to a business-class car if you’re traveling with a pet.
According to Amtrak, more than 174,000 pets have joined their humans onboard trains since the program began in October 2015, generating more than $4 million in revenue from related fees.
Note that only eight spaces will be available per departure, so if you’re anticipating needing to travel with your pet, you may want to lock in your trip a bit earlier than usual.
Related: Bullet trains coming to America?
If you’re looking to book an Amtrak trip — with or without an up-to-20-pound companion — be sure to check out our guide to “the best credit cards to use for train travel” to help maximize your return.
Learn more about Acela:
Featured photo courtesy of Amtrak.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees