Amtrak Launches Spring Double Points Days Promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling on Amtrak this spring? Well it’s about to get a lot more rewarding.
The train operator is relaunching its Double Days points promotion where Amtrak Guest Rewards members can earn twice the points they’d normally get on train travel.
Normally members receive two points for every dollar spent on Amtrak, but they’ll see that doubled to 4x points per dollar during the promotion.
To earn the bonus, you’ll have to complete two easy criteria. First, register for Double Days here — and if you’re new to Amtrak Guest Rewards, you can sign up for an account here. New members who travel within 90 days of registration will receive an additional 500 bonus points.
Then, you’ll need to buy a ticket for travel on Amtrak between March 18 and May 18. Note that you can only earn double points on four qualifying one-way segments per day — still, there’s no cap on the total amount of points you can earn.
TPG values Amtrak points at a whopping 2.5 cents apiece, making it the most valuable currency in the points and miles world (if you’re into train travel at least), and redemptions on the train line start at just 800 points.
Amtrak has sleeper roomettes with panoramic windows that can be great for scenic cross-country trips. The high-speed Acela is finally getting a much needed makeover, too, although the new train cars won’t be rolled out until 2021.
When purchasing a train ticket, make sure to use a card that earns bonus points on travel like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Citi Premier Card — both earn 3x points on all travel purchases. The Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard earns 3x Amtrak points on all purchases with the company.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Archive Photos/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.