This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling on Amtrak this spring? Well it’s about to get a lot more rewarding.
The train operator is relaunching its Double Days points promotion where Amtrak Guest Rewards members can earn twice the points they’d normally get on train travel.
Normally members receive two points for every dollar spent on Amtrak, but they’ll see that doubled to 4x points per dollar during the promotion.
To earn the bonus, you’ll have to complete two easy criteria. First, register for Double Days here — and if you’re new to Amtrak Guest Rewards, you can sign up for an account here. New members who travel within 90 days of registration will receive an additional 500 bonus points.
Then, you’ll need to buy a ticket for travel on Amtrak between March 18 and May 18. Note that you can only earn double points on four qualifying one-way segments per day — still, there’s no cap on the total amount of points you can earn.
TPG values Amtrak points at a whopping 2.5 cents apiece, making it the most valuable currency in the points and miles world (if you’re into train travel at least), and redemptions on the train line start at just 800 points.
Amtrak has sleeper roomettes with panoramic windows that can be great for scenic cross-country trips. The high-speed Acela is finally getting a much needed makeover, too, although the new train cars won’t be rolled out until 2021.
When purchasing a train ticket, make sure to use a card that earns bonus points on travel like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Citi Premier Card — both earn 3x points on all travel purchases. The Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard earns 3x Amtrak points on all purchases with the company.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Archive Photos/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees