Amtrak Launches Spring Double Points Days Promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier® Card
Traveling on Amtrak this spring? Well it’s about to get a lot more rewarding.
The train operator is relaunching its Double Days points promotion where Amtrak Guest Rewards members can earn twice the points they’d normally get on train travel.
Normally members receive two points for every dollar spent on Amtrak, but they’ll see that doubled to 4x points per dollar during the promotion.
To earn the bonus, you’ll have to complete two easy criteria. First, register for Double Days here — and if you’re new to Amtrak Guest Rewards, you can sign up for an account here. New members who travel within 90 days of registration will receive an additional 500 bonus points.
Then, you’ll need to buy a ticket for travel on Amtrak between March 18 and May 18. Note that you can only earn double points on four qualifying one-way segments per day — still, there’s no cap on the total amount of points you can earn.
TPG values Amtrak points at a whopping 2.5 cents apiece, making it the most valuable currency in the points and miles world (if you’re into train travel at least), and redemptions on the train line start at just 800 points.
Amtrak has sleeper roomettes with panoramic windows that can be great for scenic cross-country trips. The high-speed Acela is finally getting a much needed makeover, too, although the new train cars won’t be rolled out until 2021.
When purchasing a train ticket, make sure to use a card that earns bonus points on travel like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Citi Premier® Card — both earn 3x points on all travel purchases. The Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard earns 3x Amtrak points on all purchases with the company.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Archive Photos/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.