Amex is waiving transfer fees: Should you transfer points even if you’re not planning travel?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express is temporarily waiving all excise taxes on Membership Rewards point transfers to U.S. airlines, citing the CARES Act. As first spotted by Travel with Grant, this applies to all domestic airline transfers made through Dec. 31, 2020. Additionally, Amex is retroactively refunding fees for previous transfers made this year.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The following message appears on Amex’s website when requesting to transfer points to a U.S. airline:
“As a result of COVID-19 and the subsequent CARES Act passed in the United States on Mar. 28, 2020, we are temporarily waiving all excise tax offset fees on point transfers to [airline’s name] through Dec. 31, 2020.”
American Express typically charges an excise fee of 0.06 cents per point (capped at $99 for any single transfer) when you transfer points earned with a card like The Platinum Card® from American Express to a U.S. airline. Amex’s U.S. airline partners include Delta, JetBlue, and Hawaiian.
It’s nice to see that Amex is passing on some of its savings from the bailout to consumers. We typically recommend only transferring miles when you have a specific redemption in mind, as transfers are irreversible. However, this tax holiday can save you a decent amount of cash. Depending on your redemption patterns or goals, it might make sense to transfer the points anyway.
The waiver will be available through the end of the year, so you could also wait in hopes that a transfer bonus will be offered.
Remember that you’ll never pay any fees when transferring your Amex points to foreign frequent flyer programs like Avianca LifeMiles or British Airways Avios. Additionally, you’re never charged any fees when transferring Chase Ultimate Rewards or Citi ThankYou points to any airlines.
Featured image by Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees