This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express is targeting some of its cardholders with a free three-month Amazon Prime membership.
Targeted cardholders can take advantage of the free three months of Prime — a deal worth nearly $39 — for a limited time. According to the terms and conditions of the limited-time offer, it’s valid only in the United States. Once the free three-month period is up, your Prime membership will be automatically renewed at $119 plus applicable taxes per year.
It’s unclear how Amex is targeting cardholders for this promotion. To see if you’re eligible and have been targeted for the offer, check your email for a message with the subject line “Exclusive offer from American Express: 3 months of Prime.” You’ll need to have been targeted and have received the email in order to be eligible for the three free months. It’s not uncommon for promotions to be labeled as spam, so be sure to check that folder if you’re not immediately seeing it in your main inbox.
The terms and conditions state that the promotion started on Tuesday, July 10, and will end either on July 23 or when 160,000 customers have redeemed the offer — whichever comes first. Amazon also reserves the right to end the promotion when it wants. So, if you were targeted and want to take advantage, you’ll want to do it sooner rather than later.
Overall, this is a nice offer on the surface. However, if you were targeted and elect to take advantage but don’t necessarily want to pay the $119 plus tax annual membership rate, you’ll want to cancel the membership before it automatically renews at that price.
This promotion comes just in time for Amazon’s annual Prime Day, which falls on July 16 at 3:00pm ET. In order to make the most of Prime Day — and for all days — make sure you’re using the right credit cards to maximize your Amazon purchases.
Featured image by David Ryder/Getty Images.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees