Amex Gold cardholders’ new $10 monthly Uber credits starting to post
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Card issuers have been rapidly adjusting to consumers’ changing spending habits by implementing new, limited-time perks during the pandemic. Now, American Express has started rolling out something a little more permanent for new and existing American Express® Gold Card members.
Starting last night, Amex Gold cardholders started to see a brand-new benefit appear in their Uber accounts: an up to $10 monthly Uber Cash credit courtesy of their Amex Gold card — up to $120 in Uber Cash annually ($10 per month). This can be used on Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S and will work similarly to the existing annual Uber credit on The Platinum Card® from American Express. (enrollment required)
But this year the built-in credits on the Amex Gold are actually insanely amazing as they cumulatively total up to over $200 per year if you play your cards right.
Want more credit card news and travel advice? Sign up for our daily TPG newsletter.
The new Uber credit
The monthly up to $10 Uber Eats credits — that have now started to appear on some accounts — cement the Gold card’s status as the card to have if you’re at all into food.
Besides a 4x bonus on U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 in purchases per calendar year, then 1x) as well as a 4x bonus at restaurants, the Gold card already includes an annual up to $120 dining credit with select merchants. Enrollment required.
That legacy dining credit isn’t changing, with that monthly dining credit available towards Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, Boxed and participating Shake Shack locations. Enrollment is required.
“Our Card Members crave food experiences and we’re seeing that they’re continuing to seek out food delivery services to create those special experiences at home, while also beginning to explore local dining destinations again,” said Rachel Stocks, Executive Vice President, Global Premium Products and Benefits at American Express in a written statement.
The breakdown of Amex Gold credits
Here’s how these credits break down:
- Up to $110 annual in Uber Cash for Uber Eats and Uber rides in the U.S. in 2021, $120 in subsequent years (launching Feb. 2021 and permanent)
- Up to $120 annual dining credit with select merchants (existing and permanent)
Should you maximize both the Uber and dining credit perks in a full calendar year, the effective annual fee — in 2022 and subsequent years — is lowered from $250 (see rates and fees) to $10.
The Amex Gold has received a coveted front spot in my wallet in 2020. That’s because more of my spending has been on food relative to travel and other expenses — and the Amex Gold is the card to have if you like to eat. I’m excited to see the first $10 monthly Uber credit now in my account and ready for use.
With this new up to $120 annual Uber credit, I’ll continue to prioritize the Amex Gold. In 2021, cardholders can easily come out ahead versus the annual fee that they’re paying.
If you don’t yet have the card, the Amex Gold card is offering a generous welcome offer of 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $4,000 on the card in the first six months of account opening.
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold card, click here.
Featured photo courtesy of Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per calendar year; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com.
- Rose Gold is here to stay. Card Members can choose between a Gold or Rose Gold Card.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees