Amex Gold Card Adds Boxed as New Dining Partner
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amex already announced that Gold Card members will now receive 4X points per dollar spent on dining worldwide instead of just within the US, along with a limited return of the popular Rose Gold version of the card (through referral only), both moves that met with wide approval. Now, with 50% of Gold Card members using their dining credit every month, new partners are a welcome addition. Adding Boxed as a partner expands the Gold Card’s reach into the home delivery space, covering products including groceries, snacks, beverages, wine and liquor, along with household, personal care, health and wellness, baby, pets and school/office. It joins existing dining partners Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House and participating Shake Shack locations.
All of these changes mean a reorder of our top picks for dining purchases abroad, with the Gold Card now firmly in second place (4X on dining for an 8% return). The Citi Prestige Card (5x/8.5% return) is still in first place, but the Chase Sapphire Reserve (with 3x on dining; a 6% return) drops to third. The changes make for an even stronger case to justify adding the Amex Gold card to your wallet, especially if you want to earn top points per dollar spent for dining.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per calendar year; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees