Good News: Amex FHR Bookings Made Online Get You Elite Benefits In Addition to 5x Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts (FHR) program provides elite-like benefits, including breakfast, guaranteed 4pm late checkout and space-available upgrades, at top hotels. Holders of select Amex cards like The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum® Card from American Express are eligible to book stays using the FHR program.
The personal and business Amex Platinum cards both earn 5 Amex Membership Rewards points per dollar spent on prepaid hotels booked through Amex Travel. Until recently, FHR bookings were excluded from the 5x earning rate and only earned 1x — but now when you reserve FHR stays online through AmexTravel.com you’ll also earn 5x. Based on TPG’s latest valuations, this means you’ll earn 10% back on these stays.
Historically, FHR bookings have earned hotel loyalty points, and guests have received their elite benefits if they have elite status with a hotel. But, we feared these benefits might be lost with the introduction of 5x points on FHR stays. After all, when you book through Amex Travel and other online travel agencies, you generally won’t earn hotel loyalty points, and usually your elite status won’t be recognized. So, although we hoped that FHR bookings reserved through AmexTravel.com would provide both 5x earnings and hotel loyalty points and benefits, we couldn’t be sure without testing it.
To test it, I booked a prepaid FHR stay at the Park Hyatt Beijing.
I made sure to enter my World of Hyatt number and make a prepaid booking.
I was encouraged when the stay showed up in my World of Hyatt loyalty account before check-in.
During my stay, I was recognized as a World of Hyatt member and offered 1,000 points to offset the inconvenience of the Park Hyatt Beijing lobby being closed for renovations. So, I wasn’t surprised when I received Hyatt points for the stay after checkout.
Although I wasn’t surprised, this is still big news. In particular, this means that when you book Amex FHR prepaid stays through AmexTravel.com you’ll get hotel loyalty points, hotel elite status benefits and 5x Amex Membership Rewards points.
Although many FHR properties aren’t bookable online yet, and hence won’t earn 5x yet, Amex plans to roll out online booking to all properties in 2019. And since FHR properties tend to feature high nightly rates, earning an effective 10% return on FHR stays is huge.
Featured photo of the Park Hyatt Beijing courtesy of Hyatt.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees