Confirmed: Amex will open largest Centurion Lounge in Newark Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This article has been updated with additional details.
There’s some great news for Amex cardmembers passing through the New York City area: the issuer will soon have a Centurion Lounge in all three of the region’s largest airports.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
Fortunately, that’s about to change. The issuer just received approval for a 15-year lease in the airport’s brand-new Terminal A for an 18,000-square-foot lounge, which would make Newark its largest location to date.
As part of the Thursday, Sept. 30 board meeting of The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which oversees the region’s airports, a proposed resolution about the development of a non-airline-branded lounge in an expansion to the new terminal passed the appropriate committees.
The Port Authority and the terminal operator received two proposals for the new lounge, and both parties are moving forward with Amex’s offer. (The other interested party was not disclosed in the resolution nor during the board meeting.)
In a statement confirming the move, an American Express spokesperson shared that:
We are working closely with the Port Authority to explore options for a new Centurion Lounge at Newark Liberty International Airport. We will continue to work with their team to finalize these proposed details.
The resolution includes many (exciting) details about the lounge itself. It wouldn’t just be the largest one in the network, it’d also offer a slew of first-rate amenities that could make it the nicest one too.
Some of the proposed amenities include an outdoor terrace overlooking the airfield, with views of the Port of Newark, New York and Newark Harbor and the Manhattan skyline, a piano lounge, a Jersey jazz-themed bar and a speakeasy-themed cocktail lounge. Amex is also proposing wellness rooms, workstations, multiple food buffets and “world-class” restroom facilities as well.
The new lounge will be located in the airport’s brand-new Terminal A, which is currently under construction with an opening date slated for the first half of next year. The lounge itself is expected to open in the second half of 2023.
While the terminal itself has space for up to four airline-branded lounges, Amex’s location will be on the top floor of a 50,000-square-foot, three-story expansion building adjacent to the new terminal. The Port Authority is proposing the expansion either on the north or south end of the new terminal.
Amex will lease the entire expansion area for a 15-year term, with one five-year extension option, at a total cost of $121.5 million, equating to over $8 million a year. The issuer will also invest roughly $100 million to construct the expansion area.
As part of the agreement, Amex will sublease the first and second floors of the new building expansion back to the Port Authority for potential subleasing to concessionaires and other interested parties. Notably, the Port Authority will not make any capital investments in the connection with the proposed lease.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees