Have an Amex Business Platinum card? Don’t forget to register for these perks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express might come with a high annual fee, but it also has a whole lot of credit card perks.
The card’s new annual fee of $695 (see rates and fees) kicks in for both new and existing Business Platinum cardholders on Jan. 13, 2022. That means if you apply (or already applied) before Jan. 13, 2022, you can take advantage of all of the benefits while still paying the lower $595 rate for another entire year before your next renewal.
Speaking of perks, the Amex Business Platinum card has plenty, as mentioned. But most of the card’s greatest benefits aren’t automatic; you’ll have to enroll your card to get them. Here’s a quick look at what those perks are and how to register for them.
Remember, for new cardholders, the card’s welcome offer has jumped up to 120,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $15,000 on eligible purchases within the first three months of card membership.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Overview of the Business Platinum perks
The Amex Business Platinum has over $1,400 in statement credits that you could potentially maximize, with over $800 in credits added in a recent October 2021 card refresh. Of the seven credits, you must register for six before you can actually begin using them.
Here’s a look at what those credits are.
|Credit||Annual amount||Do I need to register?||How it works|
|Dell||Up to $400||Yes||Annual statement credit on all U.S. Dell purchases, up to $200 semi-annually. This is a $200 increase from the existing Dell benefit.|
|Indeed||Up to $360||Yes||Annual statement credit on all Indeed hiring and recruiting products and services to post open positions and find talent, up to $90 per quarter.|
|Adobe||Up to $150||Yes||Annual statement credit on select purchases, including Adobe Creative Cloud and Acrobat Pro DC.|
|Wireless telephone services||Up to $120||Yes||Annual statement credits for purchases made directly from any US wireless telephone provider, up to $10 per month.|
|Clear||Up to $189||No||Statement credits toward an annual Clear membership for expedited airport security.|
|Airline fee||Up to $200||Yes||Annual airline fee credit of up to $200 on charges by the airline you select per calendar year.|
|Global Entry or TSA PreCheck||Up to $100||Yes||Statement credits for Global Entry ($100) or TSA PreCheck ($85) every four years (4.5 years for PreCheck).|
Besides statement credits, the Business Platinum card also has several other perks you have to register for. These include:
- A 35% rebate when you Pay With Points for a first or business class ticket on any airline or an economy ticket on one airline of your choice (up to 1 million points per calendar year).
- Access to Amex Centurion Lounges, Delta Sky Clubs (on same-day Delta flights), Priority Pass lounges, and other lounges in the American Express Global Lounge Collection.
- Gold elite status with Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy.
- Premium Private Jet Program: Access to a 20% discount on Wheels Up Connect and a 40% discount on Wheels Up Core memberships. Plus, a $500 or $2,000 credit added to Wheels Up account to use toward an initial flight within the first year, depending on selected Wheels Up membership.
Finally, here are the other top Amex Business Platinum perks that don’t require registration:
- 1.5x points earned on purchases for up to $2 million per calendar year across new categories that include:
- Electronics goods retailers, software and cloud service providers
- Construction materials and hardware supplies
- Shipping providers
- 1.5x points earned on large purchases over $5,000
- 5x points on flights and pre-paid hotels booked in advance through Amex Travel
- Cellphone protection, for a maximum of $800 per claim with a limit of two approved claims per 12-month period. Note that a $50 deductible will apply.
- Access to the Cruise Privileges Program and the International Airline Program.
- Global Dining Access by Resy: Exclusive reservations at some of the world’s top restaurants, access to premium events, and other perks like priority notify and VIP status.
How to register
The golden ticket to accessing these perks is through your online Amex account under the “Benefits” tab. Once there, you can find every perk that you need to register for. In fact, there is an additional “Enroll” tab that breaks down the perks that require enrollment.
In addition, several perks even have a dedicated tracker within your Amex account. This is helpful to determine how much of a perk you have left remaining. For instance, in the screenshot above, this cardholder still has $200 to go in maximizing their airline fee credit. (Don’t forget to register first.)
The Amex Business Platinum Card is one of our top business cards that’s excellent for small businesses with expenses in the new statement credit categories. While it might not be worth the money for all business owners, its travel and lifestyle perks are difficult, if not impossible, to beat. Most of its perks, however, do need to be registered for ahead of time.
Remember, if you apply before Jan. 13, 2022, you’ll be locked into the current $595 annual fee for a full year, then $695 per year.
Official application link: Amex Business Platinum with a 120,000-point welcome offer.
Featured photo by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.