New Amex App Tool Helps Speed up Centurion Lounge Access
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in March, Amex shared its plans to acquire LoungeBuddy’s booking and reviews platform — now, we’re seeing the initial fruits of that deal, in the form of speedier Centurion Lounge entry, at least for those of us who don’t often travel with an eligible card at hand.
Customers with the Platinum Card® from American Express and the Business Platinum Card® from American Express, along with the ultra-premium Centurion Card, now have access to a mobile check-in feature, helping to speed up lounge access while also further negating the need to travel with a physical Platinum or Centurion card.
American Express states that the feature should be available “starting in June 2019,” but after updating my Amex app it appeared right away. It only takes a few seconds to generate a code, but there are a few steps involved, so I’ll run through them here.
Step 1: Tap “Find an Airport Lounge” in the Membership tab of Amex’s mobile app.
Step 2: Read and tap past the check-in instructions, which only appeared on my first visit.
Step 3: Select the lounge you’d like to visit (note: only Centurion Lounges are eligible at this time).
Step 4: Tap through the lounge profile page (with updated descriptions from LoungeBuddy).
Step 5: Confirm your check-in.
Step 6: Display your QR code along with a same-day boarding pass and photo ID at the check-in desk within 30 minutes of completing the process through the app (or generate a new code after 30 minutes).
I think this is a great first step — especially for cardmembers who don’t always travel with a physical card, or have it easily accessible — but I’d love to see Amex simplify the process even further, or perhaps even create a pass that you can easily pull up through Apple Wallet or Google Pay. Having a dedicated “mobile check-in” desk could help speed things up as well, especially at lounges that tend to get overcrowded, or are known to have extended registration queues.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/ TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees