Ameriprise Platinum card no longer accepting new applicants
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Over the years American Express has offered a number of different versions of the popular Platinum card, including specific versions for certain bank customers. However, Amex has recently trimmed back this portfolio, discontinuing the Platinum card for Mercedes Benz and now, closing the Ameriprise Platinum card to new applicants.
Amex didn’t announce this change publicly, but when we reached out for comment Amex confirmed that the card is being discontinued (not just temporarily pulled off the market to receive an update like we’ve seen with some other Amex products). Existing Ameriprise Platinum cardholders won’t be affected and can continue to use their cards as normal without any changes.
The Ameriprise Platinum used to be one of the worst-kept secrets in award travel and a fan favorite for one key reason: It was the only flavor of the Platinum card that waived the annual fee for the first year.
While the card historically didn’t offer any welcome bonus, the ability to experience all the perks of Platinum travel, including Centurion Lounge access and access to the Platinum’s three annual statement credits (up to $200 airline fee credit, up to $200 Uber credit and up to $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit) made the Ameriprise Platinum a popular choice among travelers who weren’t sure if they could justify paying a $550 annual fee.
In the last year of the Ameriprise Platinum’s life, Amex changed the offering to bring it more in line with the other cards, charging an annual fee for the first year and offering a 60,000-point welcome bonus after card holders spent $5,000 in the first three months.
With this change, the Platinum family is down to just three cards. The Platinum Card® from American Express is the personal card people are most familiar with, and it currently offers a welcome bonus of 75,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first six months of account opening. The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is currently offering a welcome bonus of 125,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first three months of card membership.
Last but not least is the Schwab Platinum card from American Express, which offers the same 60,000-point welcome bonus as the personal Amex Platinum. Its perks are nearly identical, except it also offers customers the ability to cash out Membership Rewards points at a rate of 1.25 cents each into a linked Schwab account.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees