Ameriprise Platinum card no longer accepting new applicants
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Over the years American Express has offered a number of different versions of the popular Platinum card, including specific versions for certain bank customers. However, Amex has recently trimmed back this portfolio, discontinuing the Platinum card for Mercedes Benz and now, closing the Ameriprise Platinum card to new applicants.
Amex didn’t announce this change publicly, but when we reached out for comment Amex confirmed that the card is being discontinued (not just temporarily pulled off the market to receive an update like we’ve seen with some other Amex products). Existing Ameriprise Platinum cardholders won’t be affected and can continue to use their cards as normal without any changes.
The Ameriprise Platinum used to be one of the worst-kept secrets in award travel and a fan favorite for one key reason: It was the only flavor of the Platinum card that waived the annual fee for the first year.
While the card historically didn’t offer any welcome bonus, the ability to experience all the perks of Platinum travel, including Centurion Lounge access and access to the Platinum’s three annual statement credits (up to $200 airline fee credit, up to $200 Uber credit and up to $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit) made the Ameriprise Platinum a popular choice among travelers who weren’t sure if they could justify paying a $550 annual fee.
In the last year of the Ameriprise Platinum’s life, Amex changed the offering to bring it more in line with the other cards, charging an annual fee for the first year and offering a 60,000-point welcome bonus after card holders spent $5,000 in the first three months.
With this change, the Platinum family is down to just three cards. The Platinum Card® from American Express is the personal card people are most familiar with, and it currently offers a welcome bonus of 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is currently offering a welcome bonus of 120,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first three months of card membership.
Last but not least is the Schwab Platinum card from American Express, which offers the same 60,000-point welcome bonus as the personal Amex Platinum. Its perks are nearly identical, except it also offers customers the ability to cash out Membership Rewards points at a rate of 1.25 cents each into a linked Schwab account.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees