Fake ‘soldiers’ banned from Checkpoint Charlie
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For almost 20 years, tourists visiting Berlin could pose with an actor dressed up as a Cold War-era American soldier. Now, German authorities have revoked the actors’ licenses and prohibited them from performing at the landmark.
During the Cold War, when Germany was still divided into East Germany and West Germany, Checkpoint Charlie was the most recognizable border crossing. Dating back to the 1960s, Checkpoint Charlie stood as a visible reminder of the separation of Germany. Depending on how you view the deconstruction of the wall, it wasn’t until 1989 or 1990 when the wall “came down” and the two halves of the nation were reunited.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
In the absence of the wall, and the need for a border crossing, actors very ably filled the historical gap. The site became something of a focal point of tourism in the city of Berlin. Tourists frequently pose for pictures with the “soldiers” and even receive a passport stamp (though not a real one). It was mostly in good fun.
But according to the BBC, the actors were harassing tourists (though the actors say they got thrown out on a technicality). The actors were reportedly hassling tourists for “donations” to take a picture with them, similar to some of the performers found wandering around Times Square in New York City. Either way, a visit to Checkpoint Charlie today isn’t likely to get you a picture that looks like it’s from 50 years ago. With the 30th anniversary of the fall of the wall upon us, that’s likely to be a bit of a bummer for folks celebrating the historic event.
Unlike the Soviets on the other side of the Berlin Wall, the U.S. never built a large fortification at Checkpoint Charlie. Instead, a simple shack occupied the site for nearly 30 years. As part of the tourist experience, the shack was recreated on the site. There’s no word from Berlin authorities at this point if the shack will maintain residence in its iconic location.
Feature photo by AFP / Stringer / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees