The Berlin Wall Is Going up Again, This Time as a Tourist Attraction
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you are traveling to Berlin this fall, you might be surprised to see a notorious site that was destroyed decades ago: the Berlin Wall.
For four weeks in October, a group of artists are constructing a life-sized replica of the infamous wall, which separated West Berlin from Soviet-ruled East Berlin during the Cold War and was torn down by protestors in 1989.
According to the AP, the artists’ group behind the project, DAU, says the experience would be like “a city within a city.” Visitors to the replica wall will buy a “visa” online for about 15 euros ($17.50 USD). After entering the exhibit, tourists will trade in their own smartphones for one that gives them an individual tour around the installation, which includes documentaries, exhibits and concerts (visitors will be told ahead of time what events are taking place that day in the walled-off “city”). The smartphone will guide tourists to individualized experiences like a fake conference of scientists or a meeting with a counselor, the AP reports. Visitors can reject the suggestions, and the smartphone will provide another experience.
The walled-in district would be one block of downtown Berlin’s Unter den Linden boulevard and would encompass several historical buildings, including the State Opera and the Kurfuerstenpalais palace. Viewing platforms that mimic those that used to stand in West Berlin to peer into East Berlin would also be part of the installation — only now they would look from the “East” into the “West.”
The artists are aiming to sell 1,500-3,000 tickets per day. They want the installation to evoke “traveling to a foreign country and losing the sense of freedom” and not a “Disney-style East Germany,” Thomas Oberender of the Berliner Festspiele — a performing arts group in the city — told the AP.
The art installation, which is still waiting for final approval from the city, will be torn down on Nov. 9, the same date that the actual Berlin Wall was torn down in 1989.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees