American Airlines Raises Bag Check Fees by $5 Apiece
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Packing for every occasion? It’s soon going to cost you even more. American Airlines announced Thursday that the cost of checked bags will increase by $5 apiece beginning Friday, September 21.
Currently, your first AA checked bag costs $25 and a second bag costs $35 on flights within US territories including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands, as well as flights between Canada and the United States. Once the price increase goes into effect, checking those same bags will cost $30 and $40, respectively. Tickets purchased before September 21 will be subject to the previous bag fees. Customers who currently enjoy free checked bag privileges will not be affected.
AA is the latest in a series of US carriers raising the cost of checked bags, although this is the carrier’s first checked-bag price increase in eight years.
JetBlue kicked off the latest “race to the bottom” back in August by raising its bag fees from $25 to $30 apiece, with United following suit a few days later. And this past Wednesday, Delta customers received a rude surprise when the carrier stealthily increased its bag fees with no prior warning.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.