American Airlines has a new timeline for its ‘Project Oasis’ updates to A321s, 737s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is using the coronavirus pandemic to accelerate work on some of its passenger cabins.
Retrofits to many of its Airbus A321 and Boeing 737-800 cabins — known as “Project Oasis” — are continuing apace despite broad cost cuts during the crisis. American now plans to complete work on the 737s by March 2021 and on the A321s in Spring 2022, chief financial officer Derek Kerr said during a quarterly earnings call on Thursday.
The Oasis work harmonizes the cabin configurations across the airline’s A321 and 737 fleets. The A321s go to 190 seats from as few as 181 seats, and the 737-800s to 172 seats — the same as on the 737 MAX 8 — from 160 seats.
The updates have been widely panned by travelers. Many have found the changes that add seats to both planes uncomfortable and cramped.
In response to some early complaints, American updated changes to the first class cabin on the 737s in January. The second iteration of Oasis included improved privacy for flyers as well as additional under-seat storage space.
But American has not stopped the retrofit program. Executives view it as a key cost-saving measure to streamline the seating layouts on the airline’s fleet of hundreds of A321 and 737 jets.
The new Oasis timeline is only slightly faster than pre-pandemic plans. In January, American said it aimed to finish work on the 737s by April 2021 and on the A321s a year later.
“We now only have four aircraft types in our mainline fleet,” said Kerr on Thursday. “The operating efficiencies on the crew, maintenance and schedule are permanent.”
American has accelerated retirements of its Airbus A330s, Boeing 757s and 767s, and Embraer E190s due to COVID. The Bombardier CRJ200s at its regional affiliates were also removed.
Featured image by Zach Griff/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees