American Airlines Shifts Iceland Flights to Philadelphia from Dallas/Fort Worth
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is moving seasonal Iceland service to its Philadelphia gateway next summer, tapping into East Coast demand for the North Atlantic island.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will offer daily summer flights to Reykjavik (KEF) from Philadelphia (PHL) beginning June 4, according to Diio by Cirium schedule data. The route will replace the company’s existing daily seasonal service between Reykjavik and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), which it has offered since 2018.
The change was first reported by Airlineroute.
The switch to Philadelphia will allow American to better collect the high amount of East Coast connecting traffic to Reykjavik, spokeswoman Nichelle Tait tells TPG.
American will continue to fly a Boeing 757-200 on its Reykjavik flights.
The Iceland shift joins a bevy of transatlantic changes American announced earlier in August. The carrier will land in Africa for the first time with a flight from Philadelphia to Casablanca (CMN) in Morocco. American also will return to Tel Aviv (TLV), though this time with nonstop flights from its hub at DFW. And American will offer three new seasonal routes to Eastern Europe from Chicago O’Hare (ORD) in 2020.
The airline also disclosed that it will not resume seasonal service to Bologna (BLQ) in Italy next year.
In addition, on Friday US authorities awarded American two daily flights to Tokyo Haneda (HND), the city’s close in airport. It can use them for flights from Dallas/Fort Worth and Los Angeles (LAX).
Featured image courtesy of American.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees