American Airlines Shifts Iceland Flights to Philadelphia from Dallas/Fort Worth
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is moving seasonal Iceland service to its Philadelphia gateway next summer, tapping into East Coast demand for the North Atlantic island.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will offer daily summer flights to Reykjavik (KEF) from Philadelphia (PHL) beginning June 4, according to Diio by Cirium schedule data. The route will replace the company’s existing daily seasonal service between Reykjavik and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), which it has offered since 2018.
The change was first reported by Airlineroute.
The switch to Philadelphia will allow American to better collect the high amount of East Coast connecting traffic to Reykjavik, spokeswoman Nichelle Tait tells TPG.
American will continue to fly a Boeing 757-200 on its Reykjavik flights.
The Iceland shift joins a bevy of transatlantic changes American announced earlier in August. The carrier will land in Africa for the first time with a flight from Philadelphia to Casablanca (CMN) in Morocco. American also will return to Tel Aviv (TLV), though this time with nonstop flights from its hub at DFW. And American will offer three new seasonal routes to Eastern Europe from Chicago O’Hare (ORD) in 2020.
The airline also disclosed that it will not resume seasonal service to Bologna (BLQ) in Italy next year.
In addition, on Friday US authorities awarded American two daily flights to Tokyo Haneda (HND), the city’s close in airport. It can use them for flights from Dallas/Fort Worth and Los Angeles (LAX).
Featured image courtesy of American.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees