American Airlines miles will no longer expire for members under 21
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“This change makes retaining miles easier for members who may have fewer opportunities to earn miles,” the airline told TPG.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Once a member turns 21, the program’s 18-month activity requirement will take effect.
American tells TPG that on a member’s 21st birthday, the 18-month expiration policy will begin to apply. That means the earliest your miles would expire is at age 22.5. AAdvantage members who are younger than 21 whose miles have expired on or after Jan. 1, 2020, may reactivate their miles by calling AAdvantage customer service.
AAdvantage miles usually expire after 18 months of no activity, meaning that a user hasn’t earned or redeemed miles in this time frame.
American in April announced that that it would extend AAdvantage mileage expiration for miles set to expire to July 1, 2020 — the latest announcement related to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
But if you haven’t used your American account in a while, there are several ways you can keep your AAdvantage miles active without flying. Spending on an American Airlines co-branded credit card, shopping through the AAdvantage shopping portal, donating to charity or earning miles with Bask Bank are all ways to keep your miles from expiring.
Another free way to keep your miles active is by commenting on a post on the AwardWallet blog. All you need to do is link your AAdvantage account to your AwardWallet account, and use that AwardWallet account when commenting on a post on their blog. Each comment earns five American Airlines miles.
Remember to put your birthdate into AAdvantage, as miles will still expire after 18 months in AAdvantage accounts without it.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees