How to Check If American Airlines Owes You a Fuel Surcharge Refund
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fuel surcharges are an important issue for award travel enthusiasts, as these charges can make your award flight cost hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars more in addition to your miles redeemed. In some cases, fuel surcharges, often termed “carrier-imposed surcharges” by the airlines, are so high that they can match or even exceed the price of an economy class ticket, eliminating most of the benefit of redeeming miles in the first place.
But not all surcharges are created equally, which is why you should always keep an eye on what you’re being billed for to make sure it’s the correct amount.
That said, if you booked a British Airways award ticket through American Airlines on select routes recently, AA might just owe you a fuel surcharge refund, as reported by View from the Wing.
The discrepancy seems to involve the Seattle (SEA) to London Heathrow (LHR) route. British Airways recently lowered its carrier-imposed surcharges to $65, but it would seem that AA failed to update the new lower rate in its award booking system, charging a carrier-imposed fee of $225 instead.
The airline told VFTW in a statement that it is working to correct the issue in the system and that the airline would be proactively reaching out to customers who were overcharged about refunds.
For now, customers should double check their receipt for any award bookings. If you see a carrier-imposed fee listed at $65 for a recent flight, then you were charged the correct amount. If you see a charge that’s higher, expect to hear from AA in the next few weeks regarding your refund.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.