American Airlines to keep Embraer E190s longer amid Boeing 737 MAX uncertainty
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will fly the majority of its Embraer E190 fleet through the end of 2020 as uncertainty around when the Boeing 737 MAX will return to the skies persists.
The Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier will fly 17 of its 20 E190s “through 2020” — a timeline TPG understands to be December — American spokeswoman Andrea Koos told TPG. The jets were previously due to retire by the end of the summer.
The move comes as American faces uncertainty around its fleet this year. The airline’s 24 737 MAX 8 jets have been grounded since March 2019 with no return-to-service date on the horizon, and American continues to face delays getting new Airbus A321neos.
In addition, the MAX grounding is forcing American to remove four small regional jets from its feeder fleet before June in order to comply with terms in its pilots’ contract that stipulate the ratio of planes can be flown under its regional and mainline fleets.
American’s move to extend the lives of the E190s, albeit by just several months, also comes amid a rapidly changing demand environment. Potential passengers have begun deferring travel bookings amid fears of the emerging COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak in the U.S.
As a result, JetBlue Airways and United Airlines have trimmed domestic schedules by up to 10% over the next few months. Southwest Airlines has not reduced capacity but expects the disease to reduce revenues by up to $300 million in the first quarter.
American has waived change fees for travelers who book tickets during March amid mounting concern about COVID-19.
The Oneworld alliance member has yet to indicate whether it will cut domestic capacity as fears of COVID-19 spread.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees