American Airlines makes good on threat to ax cities, cuts 15 in ‘first step’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines has added 15 U.S. cities to the list of things it plans to cut this fall in an effort to right-size the airline amid a historic drop in air travel because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Fort Worth, Texas-based Oneworld alliance carrier called the cuts — initially from just Oct. 7 to Nov. 3 — the “first step” in a broad re-evaluation of its route map. Additional schedule changes are expected in the “coming weeks,” American said in a statement on Thursday
The reductions come a week after the flight schedule requirements in the federal coronavirus aid package, or CARES Act, expire on Sept. 30. American has also warned around 26,000 staff members of possible furloughs beginning in October.
American is suspending service to the following cities in October:
- Del Rio, Texas (DRT) – served from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
- Dubuque, Iowa (DBQ) – served from Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
- Florence, South Carolina (FLO) – served from Charlotte (CLT)
- Greenville, North Carolina (PGV) – served from Charlotte
- Huntington, West Virginia (HTS) – served from Charlotte
- Joplin, Missouri (JLN) – served from Dallas/Fort Worth
- Kalamazoo, Michigan (AZO) – served from Chicago O’Hare
- Lake Charles, Louisiana (LCH) – served from Dallas/Fort Worth
- New Haven, Connecticut (HVN) – served from Philadelphia (PHL)
- Newburgh, New York (SWF) – served from Philadelphia
- Roswell, New Mexico (ROW) – served from Dallas/Fort Worth
- Sioux City, Iowa (SUX) – served from Chicago O’Hare
- Springfield, Illinois (SPI) – served from Dallas/Fort Worth
- Stillwater, Oklahoma (SWO) – served from Dallas/Fort Worth
- Williamsport, Pennsylvania (IPT) – served from Charlotte and Philadelphia
American indicates that it could “re-assess [its] plans” if the CARES Act’s payroll support program for airline staff is extended. Labor unions are leading the push for an additional six months of employment protections though every major carrier supports the effort.
The prospects for an extension of the payroll support program are uncertain, at best. Congress is not scheduled to reconvene to discuss a new CARES Act until after Labor Day in September.
American’s departure will leave nine of the cities entirely without commercial air service. Del Rio, Dubuque, Florence, Greenville, Joplin, New Haven, Roswell, Stillwater and Williamsport, according to Cirium schedules.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees