American Airlines launches new way for some flyers to earn double miles for a year — at a cost
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to earn double American AAdvantage miles for the next year? That’ll be $59.99, please. Oh, and I’m going to need to see your emailed invitation.
In a new era of frequent flyer innovation, some targeted members of American’s AAdvantage program have received an invitation to earn double redeemable miles for a year on their domestic American Airlines travels for a $59.99 fee. (Update: We have now heard from TPG readers who received this offer at a $79.99 price-point, so your offer and related math on if it is worth it may vary.) This new offer is being dubbed AAdvantage Tailwind.
The Tailwind offer that TPG’s Benji Stawski received is only valid on American Airlines-operated flights. The doubling of miles is applicable on the base miles earned, not on any elite or other bonuses. Note that these bonus miles also won’t get you to that next elite status tier any faster — though these credit cards can.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Assuming you’ve received an emailed invitation (or see the promotion when logged into your AAdvantage account), is it a good deal to spend $60 to earn double base redeemable miles for a year?
The answer will largely lie with how much you plan to spend and fly with American on domestic flights in the next year…which is admittedly hard to guess for many of us at this point.
On top of that, you’ll need to think through a little math to determine if this offer is for you.
The number of American Airlines miles awarded for flights is five miles per dollar spent on the base fare. There are elite bonuses and such that can ramp that amount up, but since the terms for this offer indicate the doubling excludes elite bonuses, we’ll stick with five miles per dollar.
Excluding elite bonuses, if you spent $300 on an American Airlines ticket, you’d normally earn about 1,500 redeemable AAdvantage miles worth around $21 by TPG valuations after you complete your trip.
Your own personal valuation of American miles may come in higher or lower than TPG’s, so prepare to adjust your math accordingly. If a $300 flight would typically return around $21 in redeemable American miles, you’d earn around $42 in redeemable American miles with the Tailwind offer.
Continuing with that relatively simple math, if you took three flights that each cost you around $300 in 12 months on American Airlines, you’d normally earn about $63 in redeemable miles (4,500 in total).
However, if you spent $59.99 to purchase the Tailwind accelerator, you’d earn a second set of 4,500 bonus redeemable miles and would just about break-even at those rates, with those 4,500 miles being worth around $63, assuming your own valuation is also 1.4 cents per mile.
Those who think they will spend and fly above that $900 – $1,000 threshold in domestic base fares on American Airlines in the next year are the ones most likely to come out ahead by spending the $59.99 for this interesting promotion.
If you are targeted for the offer and decide to go for it, here are some of our favorite ways to use AAdvantage miles so you can start brainstorming what you’re going to do with all those bonus miles.
Featured image by Daniel Slim/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees