American Airlines CEO: Boeing 737 MAX Likely to Fly Again By Fall
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines CEO Doug Parker said he expects the Federal Aviation Administration to allow Boeing 737 MAX jets to return to service by mid-August, though the airline is keeping the plane off its schedule until Sept. 3.
“We wouldn’t be selling seats today unless we believed it was a highly likely possibility,” that the planes will be able to come back into scheduled service, Parker said during the company’s annual shareholder meeting on Wednesday.
The comments came just days after American extended the cancellation of MAX flights from its schedule. Previously, American had removed the MAX from its schedules through Aug. 5.
Regulators around the world grounded 737 MAXes in mid-March after two of the planes crashed in about five months, killing 346 people. Parker recognized that even when the planes are legally allowed to fly again, it may take time and considerable effort before the general public feels safe seeing them at the end of the jet bridge.
Even if the grounding order is lifted in August, American will continue to keep its MAXes out of revenue service until September because of the airline’s crew scheduling policies. But, Parker said, he views the extra time as a way to reassure passengers that the planes are safe. He said he and other airline executives will likely fly on the MAX once it is re-certified, before it starts carrying paying passengers.
“If an American Airlines pilot is comfortable taking up an aircraft, I know, and our customer should know, that aircraft is 100 percent safe,” Parker said.
Featured image courtesy of American Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees