American, British Airways kick off work on expanded New York JFK terminal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Work on the $344 million expansion of Terminal 8 began in December, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said in a speech Monday. The project is the first step in the governor’s larger $13 billion redevelopment of JFK that is due for completion in 2025.
The project adds 70,400 square feet to Terminal 8 including five new wide-body gates, though only two gates are entirely new. The the balance was achieved by reconfiguring other gates on the building. In addition, the work adds four remote parking positions for wide-body jets.
“Our investment will put the 14 daily flights from JFK to London that we offer in partnership with British Airways in the same terminal and give customers premium check-in space, new joint lounges and a larger variety of retail and dining options,” said Robert Isom, president of American, in a statement Monday.
The Terminal 8 work is part of the larger redevelopment of JFK. A new 23-gate South Terminal will replace Terminals 1 and 2, as well as connect to Terminal 4, and Terminal 5 will be expanded with a new 12-gate North Terminal on the site of former Terminal 6 and Terminal 7.
American and British Airways separately were the third and fifth largest, respectively, in terms of passengers carried at JFK during the year ending in June 2019, according to U.S. Department of Transportation data via Cirium. Together, the carriers were the third largest behind Delta Air Lines and JetBlue Airways.
American and British Airways are members of Oneworld and have a joint venture partnership between the U.S. and Europe that allows them to act as essentially a single carrier in the market.
Featured image courtesy of American Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees