American Airlines (finally) rolls out boarding push notifications to all app users
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After testing for the past five months, American Airlines is rolling out a new feature to all AA app users: boarding push notifications. Starting today, app users will automatically get a notification when their flight has begun boarding:
The good news is that there’s no need to update your AA app to get these notifications. American Airlines confirmed to TPG that the push notifications are now available for both iOS app and Android app users starting October 16 using the current version of the app.
This notification is automatically sent by American Airlines’ system after the first boarding pass has been scanned for the flight. So, you’re going to get a push notification when boarding actually starts, not just when boarding is scheduled to begin.
That’s great for those of us that have lounge access as we can wait until boarding actually begins to head to the gate — instead of heading to the gate when boarding is supposed to start.
This is a feature that rival airlines Delta has offered app users for years and United launched in September 2018.
As a beta tester on American Airlines’ app, I have gotten an early look at how this works and how it’s evolved since AA started testing this new feature in April. When AA first started testing the feature, it included a warning about boarding ending 10 minutes before departure:
Now, American Airlines has swapped out that warning for a notification that helpfully includes the gate number:
TPG’s Josh Leibner just so happened to be flying American Airlines today. Sure enough, he received a boarding push notification for his flight to Charlotte:
Photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.