American Airlines (finally) rolls out boarding push notifications to all app users
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After testing for the past five months, American Airlines is rolling out a new feature to all AA app users: boarding push notifications. Starting today, app users will automatically get a notification when their flight has begun boarding:
The good news is that there’s no need to update your AA app to get these notifications. American Airlines confirmed to TPG that the push notifications are now available for both iOS app and Android app users starting October 16 using the current version of the app.
This notification is automatically sent by American Airlines’ system after the first boarding pass has been scanned for the flight. So, you’re going to get a push notification when boarding actually starts, not just when boarding is scheduled to begin.
That’s great for those of us that have lounge access as we can wait until boarding actually begins to head to the gate — instead of heading to the gate when boarding is supposed to start.
This is a feature that rival airlines Delta has offered app users for years and United launched in September 2018.
As a beta tester on American Airlines’ app, I have gotten an early look at how this works and how it’s evolved since AA started testing this new feature in April. When AA first started testing the feature, it included a warning about boarding ending 10 minutes before departure:
Now, American Airlines has swapped out that warning for a notification that helpfully includes the gate number:
TPG’s Josh Leibner just so happened to be flying American Airlines today. Sure enough, he received a boarding push notification for his flight to Charlotte:
Photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees