Get up to 20% of Your Avis Rentals Back in Amazon Gift Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you frequently rent cars, it should be no surprise that it’s possible to get discounts and earn airline miles for bookings with all of the major agencies. However, Avis just launched a new promotion, which can make booking through the company much more lucrative.
Amazon customers can now save up to 30% off base rates at Avis and get a part of their booking back in Amazon gift cards. Through the offer, customers receive an Amazon gift card valued at 10% of the rental price, or 20% if the booking is made using the Avis skill on an Amazon Alexa. Plus, you don’t need to be a Prime member to be eligible for the bonuses, and you’ll still earn rewards through Avis’ loyalty program.
To find out whether this new benefit actually presents any potential savings, we requested a trio of quotes from Avis for a two-day, full size car rental. Specifically, we searched for the prices for a regular booking — one using the discount code through American’s AAdvantage program and one through the Amazon offer. Here were the results:
Regular booking (no discount code): $121
Booking using discount code (K817100) for AAdvantage members: $102 (16% discount + 500 miles)
Booking through Amazon offer: $115 (5% discount + 10%-20% back in Amazon gift cards)
So, is taking advantage of this new benefit worth it? It depends. In this scenario, general Amazon customers would be best off booking using the AAdvantage discount, while Alexa owners would be best off through Amazon. However, the savings provided by the AAdvantage and Amazon partnerships aren’t fixed, so you’ll want to review all options when making bookings. As a reminder, you might be able to score even greater savings through Autoslash.
To book using the Amazon benefits, head to Avis’ website and link your Amazon account. Gift cards will be sent to the email associated with the Amazon profile within 48 hours of when the rental was completed.
Featured image by Roman Tiraspolsky / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.