This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you frequently rent cars, it should be no surprise that it’s possible to get discounts and earn airline miles for bookings with all of the major agencies. However, Avis just launched a new promotion, which can make booking through the company much more lucrative.
Amazon customers can now save up to 30% off base rates at Avis and get a part of their booking back in Amazon gift cards. Through the offer, customers receive an Amazon gift card valued at 10% of the rental price, or 20% if the booking is made using the Avis skill on an Amazon Alexa. Plus, you don’t need to be a Prime member to be eligible for the bonuses, and you’ll still earn rewards through Avis’ loyalty program.
To find out whether this new benefit actually presents any potential savings, we requested a trio of quotes from Avis for a two-day, full size car rental. Specifically, we searched for the prices for a regular booking — one using the discount code through American’s AAdvantage program and one through the Amazon offer. Here were the results:
Regular booking (no discount code): $121
Booking using discount code (K817100) for AAdvantage members: $102 (16% discount + 500 miles)
Booking through Amazon offer: $115 (5% discount + 10%-20% back in Amazon gift cards)
So, is taking advantage of this new benefit worth it? It depends. In this scenario, general Amazon customers would be best off booking using the AAdvantage discount, while Alexa owners would be best off through Amazon. However, the savings provided by the AAdvantage and Amazon partnerships aren’t fixed, so you’ll want to review all options when making bookings. As a reminder, you might be able to score even greater savings through Autoslash.
To book using the Amazon benefits, head to Avis’ website and link your Amazon account. Gift cards will be sent to the email associated with the Amazon profile within 48 hours of when the rental was completed.
Featured image by Roman Tiraspolsky / Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees