This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you frequently rent cars, it should be no surprise that it’s possible to get discounts and earn airline miles for bookings with all of the major agencies. However, Avis just launched a new promotion, which can make booking through the company much more lucrative.
Amazon customers can now save up to 30% off base rates at Avis and get a part of their booking back in Amazon gift cards. Through the offer, customers receive an Amazon gift card valued at 10% of the rental price, or 20% if the booking is made using the Avis skill on an Amazon Alexa. Plus, you don’t need to be a Prime member to be eligible for the bonuses, and you’ll still earn rewards through Avis’ loyalty program.
To find out whether this new benefit actually presents any potential savings, we requested a trio of quotes from Avis for a two-day, full size car rental. Specifically, we searched for the prices for a regular booking — one using the discount code through American’s AAdvantage program and one through the Amazon offer. Here were the results:
Regular booking (no discount code): $121
Booking using discount code (K817100) for AAdvantage members: $102 (16% discount + 500 miles)
Booking through Amazon offer: $115 (5% discount + 10%-20% back in Amazon gift cards)
So, is taking advantage of this new benefit worth it? It depends. In this scenario, general Amazon customers would be best off booking using the AAdvantage discount, while Alexa owners would be best off through Amazon. However, the savings provided by the AAdvantage and Amazon partnerships aren’t fixed, so you’ll want to review all options when making bookings. As a reminder, you might be able to score even greater savings through Autoslash.
To book using the Amazon benefits, head to Avis’ website and link your Amazon account. Gift cards will be sent to the email associated with the Amazon profile within 48 hours of when the rental was completed.
Featured image by Roman Tiraspolsky / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees