Get up to 20% of Your Avis Rentals Back in Amazon Gift Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you frequently rent cars, it should be no surprise that it’s possible to get discounts and earn airline miles for bookings with all of the major agencies. However, Avis just launched a new promotion, which can make booking through the company much more lucrative.
Amazon customers can now save up to 30% off base rates at Avis and get a part of their booking back in Amazon gift cards. Through the offer, customers receive an Amazon gift card valued at 10% of the rental price, or 20% if the booking is made using the Avis skill on an Amazon Alexa. Plus, you don’t need to be a Prime member to be eligible for the bonuses, and you’ll still earn rewards through Avis’ loyalty program.
To find out whether this new benefit actually presents any potential savings, we requested a trio of quotes from Avis for a two-day, full size car rental. Specifically, we searched for the prices for a regular booking — one using the discount code through American’s AAdvantage program and one through the Amazon offer. Here were the results:
Regular booking (no discount code): $121
Booking using discount code (K817100) for AAdvantage members: $102 (16% discount + 500 miles)
Booking through Amazon offer: $115 (5% discount + 10%-20% back in Amazon gift cards)
So, is taking advantage of this new benefit worth it? It depends. In this scenario, general Amazon customers would be best off booking using the AAdvantage discount, while Alexa owners would be best off through Amazon. However, the savings provided by the AAdvantage and Amazon partnerships aren’t fixed, so you’ll want to review all options when making bookings. As a reminder, you might be able to score even greater savings through Autoslash.
To book using the Amazon benefits, head to Avis’ website and link your Amazon account. Gift cards will be sent to the email associated with the Amazon profile within 48 hours of when the rental was completed.
Featured image by Roman Tiraspolsky / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees