Alaska Airlines adds 4 new routes to pandemic-friendly Montana destinations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines is adding four seasonal new routes between California and Montana.
The routes – two each to the Montana cities of Bozeman and Kalispell – boost Alaska’s schedules to two outdoor-friendly destinations that have fared well during the pandemic.
To Kalispell (FCA) – which sits near Glacier National Park and Flathead Lake – Alaska is adding service from both Los Angeles (LAX) and San Diego (SAN).
Bozeman (BZN), which is near Yellowstone National Park and several other outdoor recreation areas, will get nonstop flights to both San Diego and San Francisco (SFO). Alaska Airlines already offers year-round service between Bozeman and Los Angeles.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Alaska’s other California-Montana routes are to Missoula (MSO) from both San Diego and Los Angeles, giving it a total of seven between the states.
“For those ready to makes moves this summer, we’re excited to better connect California with Montana,” Brett Catlin, Alaska’s vice president of network and alliances, said in a statement. “We’ve long offered access to some of the best vacation destinations from Southern California and continue to see opportunities to grow our footprint in the region.”
The new service comes as U.S. carriers have adjusted their networks during the pandemic, adding more “sun and fun” routes that cater to the leisure travelers who currently make up the bulk of those still flying. Destinations that allow for outdoor activities and social distancing have been especially popular – everything from beaches to mountain areas.
Last summer, Alaska Airlines added Jackson Hole, Wyoming, to its route map in one of its earliest pandemic pivots to outdoor-friendly destinations.
More broadly, Montana’s cities near mountain getaways have fared especially well in recent months across all airlines.
Kalispell will get nonstop JetBlue service from New York JFK this summer, one of several notable additions.
Bozeman also has seen a dramatic increase in service. It was just last week that budget giant Southwest announced it would add Bozeman to its rapidly expanding route map while American plans a new seasonal route to Phoenix (PHX).
In total, Bozeman will see 1,100 more flights during the first six months of 2021 compared to the same time period in 2019, per Cirium timetables. This 28% increase from pre-pandemic highs underscores how quickly airlines are responding to changing demand patterns – a response that now includes four more Alaska Airlines routes to Montana’s outdoor destinations.
Begins May 20. Two weekly flights (Wednesday, Saturday) will operate through Sept. 7 on 76-seat Embraer E175 aircraft.
Begins May 20. Three weekly flights (Monday, Friday, Saturday) will operate through Sept. 7 on 76-seat Embraer E175 aircraft.
Begins May 20. Five weekly flights (except Monday and Friday) will operate through Sept. 7 on 76-seat Embraer E175 aircraft.
Begins June 17. One weekly flight (Saturday) will operate through Sept. 7 on 76-seat Embraer E175 aircraft.
TPG’s Zach Griff contributed to this report.
Featured photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees