Airbus Express? Air Canada to Try Nonstop Flights From North America to Toulouse
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just call it the “Airbus Express.”
Air Canada will begin nonstop service between Montreal and Toulouse, France, the airline announced Wednesday.
Once the service begins June 4, Air Canada says it will be the only carrier offering year-round nonstop service between North America and Toulouse. Canadian budget carrier Air Transat — which Air Canada is in the midst of acquiring — offers seasonal service, also from Montreal.
As for Toulouse, the city in southern France is home to Airbus’ headquarters and hosts one of the jetmaker’s largest factories. Airbus’ final assembly line there includes facilities for its A380, A350, A330 and A320 aircraft.
Air Canada’s service on the Montreal-Toulouse route – fittingly to be operated with Airbus A330-300 wide-body jets – will connect Toulouse to a region that’s newly important to Airbus.
Airbus’ new A220 line – which was acquired from struggling Canadian manufacturer Bombardier in 2017 when the plane was known was the “CSeries” – was developed and is currently in production at a facility in Mirabel, Quebec, just outside Montreal.
“This service will create opportunities to accelerate synergies between two of the world’s leading aerospace industry hubs,” Air Canada CEO Calin Rovinescu said in a statement.
He noted the route follows Air Canada’s recently announced service between Montreal and Seattle, which is the largest production site for US giant Boeing. Those flights — which will be flown with Air Canada’s new A220 aircraft — are set to begin May 4.
“Combined with our recently announced non-stop flights between Montreal and Seattle, the world’s other major aerospace hub, … we are helping solidify Quebec’s position as a global player in the aerospace industry, which will help maintain and encourage the growth of high-skilled, high-paying jobs in the sector,” Rovinescu added.
Air Canada’s Montreal-Toulouse flights will be flown on 292-seat Airbus A330-300s that include 27 “Signature Service” lie-flat business-class seats and 21 in the carrier’s international-style premium-economy cabin.
Flights will operate five days a week and come amid Air Canada’s international build-up at its Montreal.
“This new route is our sixth destination in continental France and represents further growth from our Montreal hub, where Air Canada has launched 35 new global routes since 2012,” Rovinescu said in the statement. “At the same time, as this route will be the only year-round service to south west France from Canada, it will strengthen Montreal’s position as both a business and tourism destination while making it a premier North American Atlantic gateway, conveniently connecting customers to Air Canada’s extensive North American network.”
Featured image courtesy of Air Canada.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees