Airbus A220 Gets Canadian Approval for ETOPS-180 Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 1/14/19 2:30pm: At an Airbus event in Montreal Monday morning, A220 program head Rob Dewar incorrectly stated that the aircraft had received ETOPS-180 certification by the FAA, EASA and Transport Canada, all during the month of December. Dewar issued a correction later in the day, clarifying that only Transport Canada had certified the aircraft itself for ETOPS-180 — the FAA had only certified the engines, and both the engines and aircraft are pending certification with the EASA. We’ve updated the text below to reflect this correction.
Airbus is showing off its new Bombardier partnership to a group of journalists in Montreal, and the company just dropped some huge news about the Airbus A220 program.
The new single-aisle aircraft — which has already been delivered to Delta and will be making its way to JetBlue and the airline tentatively known as Moxy over the next few years — has received ETOPS-180 certification from Transport Canada, theoretically enabling flights over large bodies of water, including the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
Transport Canada completed the certification at the end of last year, bringing Airbus one step closer to being able to sell both the A220-100 and larger A220-300 with global ETOPS-180 approval. That means it will be capable of legally flying routes up to three hours from the nearest diversion airport, though crucial FAA and EASA approvals are still pending.
FAA approval will great news for airlines and passengers — while smaller than the Boeing 737 and Airbus A320, the A220 series is arguably the most comfortable single-aisle jet in the skies, with advanced connectivity, economy seats that are at least 18.5 inches wide, large lavatories, wider aisles, and enough overhead space for everyone onboard, virtually eliminating the need for gate-checked bags.
The A220 series is also considerably more fuel efficient than previous-generation aircraft, with at least 20% lower fuel burn per seat, making it less expensive to operate than conventional jets. The plane also has a range of more than 3,600 miles, covering the distance between New York-JFK and London (LHR).
As a result, JetBlue could test the waters of transatlantic service with a smaller plane, operating A220 flights from its New York and Boston (BOS) hubs, for example, rather than purchasing larger A321LR jets. It would also enable flights from various West Coast markets to Hawaii.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees