Air Tahiti Nui Takes Delivery of Its Very First Dreamliner
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s the dawn of a new era for French Polynesia’s hometown international airline, Air Tahiti Nui. The carrier currently serves four destinations from its hub in Papeete (PPT) with its small fleet of Airbus A340-300s, but those widebodies are a bit past their prime — fortunately, for customers and the airline alike, they’re about to be replaced with Boeing’s latest and greatest long-haul jet.
Air Tahiti Nui just took delivery of its very first 787-9 Dreamliner at Boeing’s South Carolina facility on Tuesday, flying the brand-new bird first to Oklahoma City (OKC) and on to Los Angeles (LAX), where it’ll spend a few days before beginning the last leg of its journey to PPT.
The carrier has a total of four Dreamliners on the way, with all expected to enter the fleet by the end of 2019. The 787-9 will launch first on the airline’s flight from PPT to Auckland on Nov. 7. It will begin flying to Los Angeles the next day, on Nov. 8, after its return leg from AKL.
The Dreamliner is scheduled to begin operating some flights from LAX to Paris (CDG) in March 2019, and from PPT to Tokyo (NRT) in June 2019, though some frequencies may continued to be flown by the A340 until all of the airline’s 787s enter the fleet.
The plane represents a huge step up in business class, with 2-2-2 lie-flat seating throughout. This is also the first Air Tahiti Nui aircraft to offer a true premium economy product, and coach passengers can expect a more comfortable ride as well.
You can book flights between LAX and PPT on this new aircraft using multiple award currencies, including American AAdvantage (40,000 miles each way for economy; 80,000 for business) and Flying Blue (from 25,500 miles each way for economy; 73,500 for business).
I had a chance to explore the 787-9 on the ground in Charleston (CHS) and on the delivery flight to LA — stay tuned for a full tour coming on Wednesday, along with an explanation for our quick pit stop, and the very first Dreamliner visit to Oklahoma City.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.