Air New Zealand Officially Offering Free Wi-Fi for All Passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Staying connected in the air just got a lot cheaper if you are flying with Air New Zealand. After a three-month trial run offering free Wi-Fi, the company has announced that it will make the service free for passengers on any aircraft that that has Wi-Fi on board.
Air New Zealand is just the latest airline to make the move. JetBlue has had free Wi-Fi for passengers for some time now. And, Delta’s CEO recently announced that the airline plans to make Wi-Fi free for all passengers in the next year or two. Delta, along with Southwest and Alaska Airlines, already offers free messaging on board for users with iMessage, WhatsApp and other messaging platforms.
Being in constant contact has been a way of life for years now. It would seem that the airline industry is looking to use that connectivity not as a revenue stream, but a loss leader differentiator to attract customers from other airlines that may not offer Wi-Fi for free. No matter the reason behind the move, the ability to stay connected in the air — without forking over cash — is good news for travelers.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by Peter Parks/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.