This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Staying connected in the air just got a lot cheaper if you are flying with Air New Zealand. After a three-month trial run offering free Wi-Fi, the company has announced that it will make the service free for passengers on any aircraft that that has Wi-Fi on board.
Air New Zealand is just the latest airline to make the move. JetBlue has had free Wi-Fi for passengers for some time now. And, Delta’s CEO recently announced that the airline plans to make Wi-Fi free for all passengers in the next year or two. Delta, along with Southwest and Alaska Airlines, already offers free messaging on board for users with iMessage, WhatsApp and other messaging platforms.
Being in constant contact has been a way of life for years now. It would seem that the airline industry is looking to use that connectivity not as a revenue stream, but a loss leader differentiator to attract customers from other airlines that may not offer Wi-Fi for free. No matter the reason behind the move, the ability to stay connected in the air — without forking over cash — is good news for travelers.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by Peter Parks/AFP/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards