Air France Adds Design Flair to Airbus A330 Economy and Premium Economy Cabins
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air France operates a total of 15 Airbus A330 aircraft, and starting in January 2019, the two cabins that carry the most passengers will look vastly different than they do today. While airlines tend to make a big deal about spicing up their forward cabins (suites, anyone?), it’s refreshing to see investment pointed at the workhorse cabins as well.
These new cabins in economy and premium economy will add refreshed seating, colors and accoutrements. In fact, €150 million ($176.3 million) is being dedicated to the refurbishment, representing a “major step in [the airline’s] overall strategy to move upmarket,” according to Anne Rigail, EVP customer at Air France.
The economy seat is being refreshed to add more space between the armrests, reinforced ergonomic foam in the seat (and a 118-degree recline), 31 inches of legroom, a larger tray table and a wider 11.7-inch touchscreen. Passengers traveling in the economy cabin will also be treated to “a new bright red blanket” and “collectible night masks inspired by the company’s destinations.” There will also be an individual power plug and USB charging port and access to Wi-Fi throughout the flight.
One cabin up, premium economy passengers will enjoy a 130-degree seat recline in a fixed shell, 19 inches of seat width, 40 inches of seat pitch, adjustable lumbar support, additional storage space, a wider footrest and a 13.3-inch entertainment screen. Air France also claims that the “softer seat cushions and wider leather armrests have been redesigned.”
In addition to new seats and a new economy and premium economy color scheme, passengers will be welcomed with an oshibori (hot towel), “a complimentary glass of Champagne in a brand new glass,” and a meal served on tableware designed in collaboration with Eugeni Quitllet.
A “My Little Gourmandises” gourmet snack is available on a self-service basis on flights longer than 8.5 hours, and on flights lasting between 8.5 hours and 10.5 hours, the carrier will supply a “Bon Appétit” breakfast bag.
As of now, the only US city served directly on an Air France A330 is Chicago (to Paris), while other destinations include Cape Town, Lagos, Kinshasa, Luanda, Riyadh, New Delhi, Bangalore, and Wuhan.
Featured image of refreshed A330 Premium Economy cabin courtesy of Air France.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees