Virgin Atlantic Spends $13 Million to Refurbish Former Air Berlin A330s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Through the summer of 2017, Air Berlin was still flying passengers across the Atlantic and throughout Europe on its fleet of narrow- and wide-body Airbus jets. I even reviewed the carrier’s business-class product to New York (JFK) in late-September, but within weeks the Oneworld member was no more, with its assets making their way to other airlines, including Virgin Atlantic, which acquired four of Air Berlin’s A330-200s.
Rather than keep those planes on the ground any longer, Virgin Atlantic quickly slapped its own livery and branding on Air Berlin’s former fleet. These seats — the same I flew back when the planes were with Air Berlin — are still flying today, but the aircraft interiors will soon undergo a major refresh, to the tune of £10 million (about $13.35 million).
Those funds won’t go too far, since they’re being used to cover the retrofit of four wide-body aircraft, but Virgin has confirmed that it’ll add a premium-economy cabin, with 35 seats each offering 38 inches of pitch. Business class and economy will get a facelift as well, though the changes there are largely cosmetic — it sounds like Virgin Atlantic will maintain the existing layout and shells.
For example, here’s the business cabin from when it was flying with Air Berlin:
And here’s what it’ll look like after the refresh:
Based on the airline’s description and renderings, the business-class seats, called “Upper Class” on Virgin Atlantic, will get a leather finish, along with a new in-flight entertainment system, including a touchscreen remote and 20-inch screen. All seats will continue to have aisle access, as they do today.
Virgin is maintaining its new seat branding, differentiating this staggered 1-2-1 arrangement from the herringbone Upper Class seats you’ll find elsewhere in the fleet.
Economy seats will be reupholstered, and new adjustable headrests will be added. They’ll maintain the standard 2-4-2 arrangement standard on almost all A330s.
These refreshed A330-200s will begin flying in November. The four aircraft — registered G-VLNM, G-VMNK, G-VMIK and G-VWND — are currently based at London Gatwick (LGW) and Manchester (MAN), flying to Boston (BOS) and San Francisco (SFO) in the US, and Antigua (ANU), Barbados (BGI) and Saint Lucia (UVF) in the Caribbean. Virgin Atlantic has not yet confirmed whether they’ll continue to operate those routes or will be assigned to different city pairs once the upcoming renovations are complete.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.