Virgin Atlantic Spends $13 Million to Refurbish Former Air Berlin A330s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Through the summer of 2017, Air Berlin was still flying passengers across the Atlantic and throughout Europe on its fleet of narrow- and wide-body Airbus jets. I even reviewed the carrier’s business-class product to New York (JFK) in late-September, but within weeks the Oneworld member was no more, with its assets making their way to other airlines, including Virgin Atlantic, which acquired four of Air Berlin’s A330-200s.
Rather than keep those planes on the ground any longer, Virgin Atlantic quickly slapped its own livery and branding on Air Berlin’s former fleet. These seats — the same I flew back when the planes were with Air Berlin — are still flying today, but the aircraft interiors will soon undergo a major refresh, to the tune of £10 million (about $13.35 million).
Those funds won’t go too far, since they’re being used to cover the retrofit of four wide-body aircraft, but Virgin has confirmed that it’ll add a premium-economy cabin, with 35 seats each offering 38 inches of pitch. Business class and economy will get a facelift as well, though the changes there are largely cosmetic — it sounds like Virgin Atlantic will maintain the existing layout and shells.
For example, here’s the business cabin from when it was flying with Air Berlin:
And here’s what it’ll look like after the refresh:
Based on the airline’s description and renderings, the business-class seats, called “Upper Class” on Virgin Atlantic, will get a leather finish, along with a new in-flight entertainment system, including a touchscreen remote and 20-inch screen. All seats will continue to have aisle access, as they do today.
Virgin is maintaining its new seat branding, differentiating this staggered 1-2-1 arrangement from the herringbone Upper Class seats you’ll find elsewhere in the fleet.
Economy seats will be reupholstered, and new adjustable headrests will be added. They’ll maintain the standard 2-4-2 arrangement standard on almost all A330s.
These refreshed A330-200s will begin flying in November. The four aircraft — registered G-VLNM, G-VMNK, G-VMIK and G-VWND — are currently based at London Gatwick (LGW) and Manchester (MAN), flying to Boston (BOS) and San Francisco (SFO) in the US, and Antigua (ANU), Barbados (BGI) and Saint Lucia (UVF) in the Caribbean. Virgin Atlantic has not yet confirmed whether they’ll continue to operate those routes or will be assigned to different city pairs once the upcoming renovations are complete.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees