Air Canada adds another international route from booming Montreal hub
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada will connect its growing Montreal hub with Bogotá next June, part of a continued international expansion push at the airline’s hub there.
The Star Alliance carrier will offer three weekly flights between Montreal Trudeau (YUL) and Bogotá (BOG) beginning June 2, the company said Wednesday. It will operate a Boeing 767-300ER on the new route.
“The addition of Bogotá represents Air Canada’s 39th new route launched from Montreal Trudeau Airport since 2012, firmly illustrating our commitment to developing Montreal as an important, strategic hub,” Mark Galardo, vice-president of network planning at Air Canada, said in a statement. “Bogotá is also strategically situated to allow for seamless travel across South America through Star Alliance partner Avianca.”
The airline’s international capacity from Montreal is scheduled to increase an impressive 173% this year compared to 2012 — when the 39-route expansion cited by Galardo began — according to Diio by Cirium data. Compared to 2018, international capacity will be up just over 10%.
Air Canada has built a successful business connecting U.S.-bound travelers to international points over its Toronto Pearson (YYZ) hub. The could could replicate this strategy in Montreal to a degree as it continues to expand both U.S. and international points from the city.
Adding to Air Canada’s Montreal growth is its pending acquisition of Air Transat. The leisure carrier is the second largest international operator from Trudeau with a nearly 16% share of seats this year compared to Air Canada’s 46% share, Diio data shows.
The deal was approved by the Superior Court of Quebec in August but still requires additional regulatory approvals before it can close.
Featured image courtesy of Air Canada.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees