Report: Air Belgium to Continue Only as Third-Party Operator for Now
Putting the lie to its motto, “Simply fly away,” beleaguered Belgian carrier Air Belgium will limp along for now, operating solely as a third-party operator for other companies, according to a report.
At a meeting of the board of directors and shareholders Thursday, the Charleroi (CRL)-based company voted to keep fulfilling its contracts for third-party flights, even though Air Belgium is operating at a substantial reduction in net assets, according to Aviator. In the meantime, the company plans to refocus on starting up its promised service to mainland China. Previous reports had suggested that Air Belgium was on the verge of liquidation.
The company’s had a spotty record in its short two years, from having to postpone its inaugural flight at the last minute because it hadn’t gotten all the necessary permissions to cancelling all flights from October 2018 through April 2019. The Air Belgium fleet, all of four A340-300s, were primarily meant to fly from Belgium to Hong Kong (HKG) three times a week, but Air Belgium yanked the route just weeks ago. One of the planes is being leased to British Airways for its London Heathrow (LHR)-Abu Dhabi (AUH) route, and will eventually switch to BA’s service from London to Dubai (DXB) from Nov. 1 to mid-December.
Calls and emails to Air Belgium were not returned.
Featured image by Jeroen Stroes Aviation Photography.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees