Low-cost carrier Air Arabia places order for 120 A320neo aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Arabia is expanding its narrow-body fleet even further. The United Arab Emirates-based low-cost carrier announced Monday at the Dubai Airshow it has signed a firm order for 120 Airbus aircraft, featuring 73 A320neos, 27 A321neos and 20 A321XLRs.
The carrier is already an Airbus-only airline, with a fleet consisting of 54 A320neo family aircraft, including the A321LR. With the addition of the aircraft as part of Monday’s order — especially the A321XLR — the airline has the opportunity to further expand its network.
“Air Arabia’s fleet growth strategy has always been driven by commercial demand and we are glad to announce today one of the region’s largest single-aisle orders with Airbus to support our growth plans,” Adel Al Ali, CEO of Air Arabia, said in a statement. “The addition of the A320neo, A321neo and A321XLR complements our existing fleet and allows us to expand our service to further and newer destinations while remaining loyal to our low-cost business model.”
The longer-range XLR variant can fly up to 5,400 miles, about 15% longer than the A321LR predecessor, which Air Arabia already operates.
Currently, Air Arabia operates from three hubs: Sharjah (SHJ) in the United Arab Emirates; Casablanca (CMN) in Morocco and Alexandria (HBE) in Egypt.
With the addition of the A321XLR to its fleet, which the carrier expects to begin taking delivery of in 2023, Air Arabia will now have the option to fly from its hubs in Egypt and the UAE to the U.K., though it hasn’t made any official announcement if that is in its plans.
With the addition of the A321XLR to its fleet, which the carrier expects to begin taking delivery of in 2023, Air Arabia will now have the option to fly from its other two hubs to the U.K. However, it hasn’t made any official announcement if that is in its plans.
The order from Air Arabia was the second big order for Airbus aircraft at this year’s Dubai Airshow. Earlier on Monday, UAE giant Emirates Airline placed a massive $16 billion order for 50 Airbus A350 aircraft.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees