This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US sanctions on Iran continue to have a crippling effect on the country’s aviation market. Greek carrier Aegean has nixed its only flight to Iran, it announced Tuesday.
The airline will end all service between Athens (ATH) and Tehran (IKA) on October 11. Aegean flew an Airbus A320 three times a week to the Iranian capital.
The Star Alliance carrier cites US sanctions that recently went into place and a second round that will take effect in November, which restrict banking and currency exchanges with Iran. The US said it will sanction any American or foreign company that continues to do business with Iran prompting airlines, hotels and other companies to cut ties with the country.
Passengers who have already purchased tickets for flights to Tehran that depart after October 11 can cancel them for a full refund, the airline said.
Alitalia, the Lufthansa Group, Kuwait Airways, Qatar Airways, Emirates and Turkish Airlines still operate direct flights to Iran and have not yet announced plans to end the routes.
“There’s no question that the economic sanctions that have been imposed on Iran are affecting its economy and limit some companies’ ability to do business there,” Henry Harteveld, founder of travel industry analysis firm Atmosphere Research Group, told the New York Times in August. “So I’m sure there’s been a sharp falloff in [airline] traffic both originating from Iran as well as traffic from Europe and other international points, including the U.S., going into Iran.”
H/T: Alex Macheras
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees