Deal alert: Get a free Amtrak Acela ticket after buying a paid round-trip ticket
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You’ll have to take two qualifying one-way trips on Acela from now through Feb. 10, 2021, and spend a minimum of $49 each way. The one-way Acela coupons are redeemable for Acela Business class travel from Dec. 4, 2020, through March 15, 2021. If you’re an Amtrak Guest Rewards member with Select Executive status, you’ll earn coupons redeemable for Acela first-class travel.
For more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter!
Here a few examples of what you can book:
Stamford, CT to Wilmington, DE for $106 round-trip:
Boston, MA to Philadelphia, PA for $138 round-trip
New York, NY to Washington, DC for $138 round-trip:
If you decide to book this offer, make sure you pay for the tickets with a travel rewards card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which are both among the best cards for general travel purchases.
You might also consider applying for one of Amtrak’s two co-branded credit cards issued by Bank of America. The Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard® is offering 20,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days of account opening and the no-annual-fee Amtrak Guest Rewards® Platinum Mastercard® is offering 12,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days of account opening. TPG values Amtrak points at 2.5 cents each, making each of these bonuses worth $500 and $300 respectively.
The information for the Amtrak Guest Rewards and Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
As TPG reported earlier this year, Amtrak has been testing new high-speed train cars, with service tentatively set for sometime in 2021. The new interiors feature sanitary improvements as a nod to the coronavirus pandemic and can hold 378 passengers. The new trains will include touch-less bathrooms, more space between customers, and no-touch overhead bins.
Amtrak also instituted enhanced cleaning procedures and mandated masks for current service. As I reported over the summer, the rail company announced that it could “remove customers or ban them” from future travel if passengers don’t comply.
Acela tickets have dropped in price, with some routes as low as $53 one-way, which means you could score a free round-trip Acela ticket for just over $100. Considering Amtrak tickets pre-pandemic could cost as much as a plane ticket, having the ability to score a round-trip ticket at a steep discount is a big deal. So if you need to hit the rails in the next few months anyway, this may be your best option.
Featured photo by Scott Mayerowitz / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.