American’s Planning Las Vegas-Tokyo Shocker, 3 Other Haneda Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/21/19: AA has confirmed that its two DFW flights would be operated by the 777-200, while the airline would use its 787-8 Dreamliner for the LAX and LAS flights.
United was first out of the gate with its proposed Tokyo Haneda (HND) routes on Thursday, but American Airlines confirmed its own suggested routes just minutes later with TPG, including one we weren’t expecting at all: nonstop service between Tokyo and Las Vegas.
While AA’s still finalizing the details of today’s news, the airline’s already made some waves with its proposal for the 12 Haneda slots available to US carriers. So far, United’s aiming to get half — with a total of six new HND flights — and American’s hoping to take on four itself. The US Department of Transportation will consider city pairs based on airline requests, and American’s prioritizing its proposal with daily flights as follows:
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Dallas/Fort Worth (yes, a second daily flight)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
With LAS bringing up the rear, and AA requesting one-third of the available slots, it’s quite possible we’ll never see a Tokyo-Las Vegas nonstop come to fruition. Still, it’s an interesting proposal indeed.
According to American, there’s heavy Las Vegas demand among Japanese tourists, including those living beyond Tokyo. That makes Haneda an especially compelling option, given all the domestic markets AA’s partner JAL serves from it:
As with United, American plans to launch its Haneda flights by the summer of 2020, ahead of the Olympic Games in Tokyo. We’re still awaiting the full scoop, including the aircraft AA plans to use for each flight, and we’ll update this post as more details become available.
Featured image of an AA 777 at LAX by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees