This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As summer begins winding down, airline shopping portals are taking advantage of the back-to-school season with promotional offers. Between Monday and July 26, 2018, at 11:59pm ET, you can earn up to 1,500 bonus American Airlines AAdvantage miles when you make purchases through the carrier’s online shopping portal.
Here’s how it works: The more you spend through the AAdvantage shopping portal during the promotional period, the more bonus miles you’ll earn:
- If you spend $150 or more, you’ll earn 500 bonus AAdvantage miles
- If you spend $350 or more, you’ll earn 1,500 bonus AAdvantage miles
These bonuses are in addition to the miles you’ll earn per dollar spent through the shopping portal. The number of bonus miles you earn will depend on the cumulative total of purchases you make during the promotional period. So, if you make four purchases of $100 each, all during the promotional period, you’ll get the 1,500 bonus miles. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, the maximum 1,500-mile bonus is worth $21.
Shopping portals are one of the best ways to earn bonus airline miles without actually having to fly. If you know you’ll be making an online purchase, be sure to make it directly through a shopping portal in order to earn the bonus miles — especially when there are promotions like this back-to-school offer from American Airlines.
Featured image by Juha Remes / Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees