Airbus A220 to Fly on Longer Delta Connection Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The wait for a ride aboard a Delta-branded A220 is nearing an end. With the first of Delta’s 75 Airbus A220-100s expected to arrive by year-end 2018, and the first departures slated for Q1 2019, the airline is beginning to put structure around where its newest birds will nest.
We’ve reported prior that New York would be the first locale to see the A220-100 (formerly known as the Bombardier CS100), and now we’re hearing that it’ll likely be used on some of the lengthier Delta Connection routes across the board. Per FlightGlobal, Delta’s Senior Vice President of Network Planning Joe Esposito recently spoke at the Boyd Group International Aviation Forecast Summit in Denver, stating: “Where we’re purposely putting [the A220s] is to improve our product on our longest haul [Embraer] 175 or [Bombardier] CRJ900s, into thinner business markets. In the short-term, we’re probably going to use it to upgrade some of our longer haul Delta Connection flights.”
He wouldn’t go so far as to name specific markets, but it was clear that key business markets — where passengers routinely look at which aircraft an airline is flying before booking — will be first to adopt the A220. While some may prefer the 2-2 seating arrangement on the E-175 and CRJ900, the flip side is this: At least the A220 has one side of just two seats, whereas most other mainline jets only offer rows with middle seats.
We’re expecting most of the A220 fleet to touch Delta’s largest hubs: Atlanta, New York, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Detroit and Los Angeles. That said, a few could filter into focus cities, where E-175 and CRJ900 aircraft operate with regularity. Once Delta reveals the formal schedule, we’ll be on board to bring you a full review of the aircraft.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees