Airbus A220 to Fly on Longer Delta Connection Routes
The wait for a ride aboard a Delta-branded A220 is nearing an end. With the first of Delta’s 75 Airbus A220-100s expected to arrive by year-end 2018, and the first departures slated for Q1 2019, the airline is beginning to put structure around where its newest birds will nest.
We’ve reported prior that New York would be the first locale to see the A220-100 (formerly known as the Bombardier CS100), and now we’re hearing that it’ll likely be used on some of the lengthier Delta Connection routes across the board. Per FlightGlobal, Delta’s Senior Vice President of Network Planning Joe Esposito recently spoke at the Boyd Group International Aviation Forecast Summit in Denver, stating: “Where we’re purposely putting [the A220s] is to improve our product on our longest haul [Embraer] 175 or [Bombardier] CRJ900s, into thinner business markets. In the short-term, we’re probably going to use it to upgrade some of our longer haul Delta Connection flights.”
He wouldn’t go so far as to name specific markets, but it was clear that key business markets — where passengers routinely look at which aircraft an airline is flying before booking — will be first to adopt the A220. While some may prefer the 2-2 seating arrangement on the E-175 and CRJ900, the flip side is this: At least the A220 has one side of just two seats, whereas most other mainline jets only offer rows with middle seats.
We’re expecting most of the A220 fleet to touch Delta’s largest hubs: Atlanta, New York, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Detroit and Los Angeles. That said, a few could filter into focus cities, where E-175 and CRJ900 aircraft operate with regularity. Once Delta reveals the formal schedule, we’ll be on board to bring you a full review of the aircraft.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.