A Qantas A380 Took a Terrifying ‘Nosedive’ — Because of Another A380
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s no doubt that turbulence can be scary. And one positive of flying the massive Airbus A380 is that the giant aircraft doesn’t seem to be shaken by much. That wasn’t the case this past Sunday night when a Qantas A380 went into a “nosedive” due to wake turbulence.
While wake turbulence — the rough air caused by aircraft slicing through it — is most common around airports, this situation occurred unexpectedly about two hours into Qantas flight 94 from Los Angeles (LAX) to Melbourne (MEL). Australian sports commentator Eddie McGuire was on the flight and described the experience to the Today Show:
For about ten seconds there was a drop, it did have that a feel of you know when you just go over the top of the roller coaster you just get a little bit of that feeling… It just had that uneasy feeling as it pitched forward and to the side.
Another passenger on the flight, Janelle Wilson, described the situation to The Australian in much more dramatic terms:
It was between 1.5 and two hours after we left LA and all of a sudden the plane went through a violent turbulence and then completely up-ended and we were nosediving.
In a statement, a Qantas spokesperson described the incident as “short burst of wake turbulence from another A380 flying ahead and above it.” Not only was it another A380, but it was another Qantas A380. The airline confirmed that Qantas flight 12 from LAX to Sydney (SYD) was 1,000 feet above and 20 miles away from flight 94 at the time of the incident.
While this turbulence was surely terrifying, it’s important to remember that turbulence doesn’t threaten the safety of an aircraft in flight — even turbulence like this one. Aircraft are designed to take the brunt of a severe shaking, and passengers are safe as long as they’re strapped in. If you’d rather know when turbulence might happen, of course, there’s an app for that.
H/T: Live And Let’s Fly
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees